Maiden name on a gravestone

amaysngrace

amaysngrace

My sisters are butting heads because one thinks we should just put our mom's married name on the grave stone and the other one thinks we should include both her maiden and married names.

Who is right? Thanks!

acrosstheuniverse

What was her name when she died? Use that name. Only reason you'd use her maiden name is if she divorced before dying.

If there's some specific reason one of you doesn't want her married name on there you could put "Jane Bloggs neé Smith".

• Like 1
SammySammy

Her legal name.

If she was married or widowed at the time of death, that would probably be her married name.

• Like 2

What's the legal name on her death certificate?

What were her wishes?

My condolences for your loss and I hope this can be resolved with a minimum of rancor. I can only imagine what a mother might think of her children fighting over a name on a headstone.....

• Like 1

I would use the name she referred to herself by, what she used to introduce herself, on her post, etc. I think this is how she would want to be remembered by.

• Like 2
startingagain15

As an avid genealogist I say use the maiden and married! So much easier for research when an ancestor has both!

• Like 6
As an avid genealogist I say use the maiden and married! So much easier for research when an ancestor has both!

Correct:

Example: Jane R. Jones, (née Smith)

Our family chose to put it in the lower left side of memorial slate in our family plots:

Jane R. Jones

Dob/Dod

"Epitaph"

Née' :Smith

• Like 2
  • Author
amaysngrace

I'm so confused. :laugh:

Somehow I think it's proper to put both her married and maiden names along with her birthdate because she was born with that name and it honors her family that way but most of you guys say married only.

Her wishes were she didn't want a grave stone and her full name was on the death certificate.