My family treat my girlfriend badly and I'm not sure anymore

JacobDay

Here's a little back story. I've been dating my girlfriend for almost two years now. I am 21 and she is 19. She had trouble finding a new job after losing the one she had living with her mom. She struggled a lot but I was able to find her a good job where I work near my house and my mom and grandpa agreed to let her move in.

My girlfriend has been living here for a couple of months now and I've been noticing some things I don't like. My family has been stepping on her, tricking her, taking advantage of her and lying to her. They will steal her food out of the fridge and eat it and then tell her it was one of the neighbors while she was at work. I have caught my sister taking the gas out of my girlfriends car and trying to put it into her car. I stopped her and made it very clear that I would not accept that! My grandpa has lied to her about the times of family outings so that she wouldn't be ready on time and he will just say "oops my mistake, dear."

My sisters have done things they shouldnt have and tried pinning the blame on my girlfriend before or making it seem like she did it. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.

I have talked to my family about it but all they do is play dumb and say they haven't done anything wrong. My girlfriend doesn't seem like she's noticed any of it. I don't know if I should make her aware of it or not. I want to tell her so she can defend against it better. But I also don't want to hurt her. She thinks my family loves her to death and she treats them very well. She goes out of her way to do them favors and has bought dinner for them before without them asking. We are saving up to move out and I hope it happens soon so my gf doesnt have to be subjected to this any longer. I just don't understand how someone could treat another person like a doormat when they have been nothing but kind. My girlfriend is the sweetest person I know and has made me a happier person. To me her only flaw is that she can be a bit naive and too trusting.

Edited by JacobDay
  • Author

I do stick up for her. I put a stop to their behavior when I see it and I tell them I don't like it when she's not there. She doesn't realize what they are doing so I don't see EVERYTHING. I'm debating on weather or not I should tell her that my family is always lying to her and trying to steal from her, etc.

I'm not sure what that would accomplish though other than make her feel uncomfortable.

Can you get a mini fridge to keep your food separate?