How would you react if someone said this to you?

emerald86

If someone told that they didn't see any ambition in you, and that your parents were failures in raising you? Assuming that this is a stranger who said this all because they didn't agree with you on certain issues, and took to belittling you to prove their point.

Would you just laugh it off or would it actually bother you?

First move is de-escalation. Since they're a stranger, their life is unremarkable, so no response is warranted and disengaging and walking away is the first move. If they follow and continue, request to cease and desist. At that point, if they continue, it becomes a threat and threats get neutralized. That's a euphemism for terminated. If they're that aggressive, they get what they get. I've got a SOP for that kind of stuff.

Essentially, those kinds of people know you can't kill them so they'll spew and act in the most aggressive and demeaning manner they can, since they lack boundaries of decency and respect. Note, as a stranger, they don't know you, your parents or anything about your life. It's simply an emotional tactic to gain advantage and hurt.

If you enjoy trading insults, and some people relish that kind of interaction, then that's another method. I loathe such interactions because they really accomplish nothing in life so have other methods to deal with such people. Fortunately, so far, as an adult, the cease and desist and squaring off has been enough.

Accept that some people run their mouths without a healthy brain engaged. It happens. If it rises to threat level, deal with it. Otherwise, move on.

I honestly have to say my first instinct would be to laugh out loud....

I mean, really?

They'd say that about me without knowing anything about me, at all....?!

Hilarious.....

• Like 2
If someone told that they didn't see any ambition in you, and that your parents were failures in raising you? Assuming that this is a stranger who said this all because they didn't agree with you on certain issues, and took to belittling you to prove their point.

Laugh? No. It's not funny when intentions are to be mean.

I'd state the obvious.

I'd say:

What you're saying is mean and vile...which says a lot about you.

• Like 2

"Oh no a random person is talking crap about me without knowing me. Whatever shall I do?"be as dramatic as possible and walk away.

People who say stuff like that are pathetic and most likely miserable. Most likely one of those people that live on drama. You don't need that in your life. Best to just make them feel stupid for even commenting and then move on.

internally,the mantra is and continues, what others think about me is not my business.... so onward and upwards I go tending to my business.

externally ... ( and its happened online here) ...a quick wit response or the good ole ignore feature seems to stop the antics.

Most often the dont shoot the messenger if the messege is valid , deserves review. Yet when the messenger has ill intent...they deserve some medicine. And laughter is the best medicine!!

I'd laugh too. That person couldn't possibly know me that well and anybody who goes out their way to make statements like that has problems. Probably even threatened or intimidated by me.

Regardless, I wouldn't let what someone says bother me. Water off a duck's back.

• Like 1

I would probably feel embarrassed for them and frown at them. Then I would say "okay" and walk away from them. Everyone who knows me knows that I am ambitious. Anyone who tells me otherwise is off their rocker. It might bother me that they tried to belittle me, as I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.

I'd say "I'll definitely take a look at myself and see if I do indeed have areas to improve. But I suggest you do the same, since you feel the need to attack someone you don't even know. I feel sorry for you that you need to do things like this, and I hope you find peace some day."

A lot of good responses so far. I'd just add one thing - look at why you are bothered.

If what a person says is blatantly false, it's generally a lot easier to brush off. But the truth can really hurt. Is there truth in what they said?

GunslingerRoland

People have said a lot of strange **** to me both in person and especially online. I don't put a lot of stock in it... and would probably laugh it off and tear them a new one.

Crap stirrers want to rile you up and make you blow a gasket so they can "prove" their point. Why give them the ammunition and satisfaction?

I agree with other who have suggested you analyze why a stranger's comments bother you.

I'd also ponder the person's motivation. Generally, ppl don't approach strangers and start dissing on them and their family out of the blue. There's typically a connection.

I would go to another you-tube channel.

Bad-um-bump!