Do you have a good relationship with your siblings?

tattoomytoe

i have 2 sisters, one older, one younger. i am only a year and a half younger than the oldest and 8 years older than the youngest.

We get a long really good now that we are older..27 (almost), 25 (me), 18. i would say they are my best friends....but mainly my older sister...my little sis is still too young to hear about all i have done!

but as younger girls we were the hellatious Three!

I am 24 and my brother is 22 and we don't even acknoweledge that eachother exist, I guess he likes it like that but we just pass eachother at faimly gatherings and say hello and make small talk but we are not close at all, we we're untill I was about 16 ever since then we just wen't our seperate ways, it's werid.

HokeyReligions

Brother = yes

Mother's other daughter = no. well, actually it's great-- we've had virtually no contact for decades! :D

Originally posted by tattoomytoe

do you regret that? do you want a better relationship with him?

Sometimes but I don't lose sleep over it, he is in a weird age right now and I think he is very depressed and shutting everyone out, I hope he gets over it soon. He only calls when he needs to barrow money so I have no respect for our relationship. Plus we are 2 different people and he has a hard time accepting people who are different to him so it's his loss not mine. But as a mother I would wan't my children to be very close. :)

Kane and Able…

My sister and I are so polar opposite that even the family jokes that we could not have come from the same parents.

Unfortunately, while I wish so much that I had a sister and best friend wrapped up in one, it is difficult for me to understand or cope with the complexities of BPD. My daughter has also been diagnosed with the same affliction. Don't know if anyone else is familiar with this disorder, but it makes it near impossible to get "too close" to those suffering from it.

I've purchased the book called Walking on Eggshells in an attempt to better educate myself on the subject. There is no cure…but perhaps if I work a little harder at acquiring some patience and a better understanding of it, there will still be hope for a better relationship between us in the future. It's just A LOT of work and quite frankly, I'm all tuckered out!

Dysfunction - the "gift" that keeps giving. That one's for Meanon! ;):laugh:

I have no brothers but I have one older sister I'm 24 and she is 32. We are eight years apart and when I was younger at first she took me under her wing, then once i got to my 5-8 she would pick on me. Then once she hit an "adult" age she would always look out for me.

She has been there for me through thick and thin, through my drug abuse problem, bad marriage, ect. I love my sis and would do anything for her as well. She's had a "normal" life, she's the "normal" one of the family but we are extremely close, we fight at times and argue as do any siblings but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Do you have a good relationship with your siblings?

SO yeap i have a close relationship with my sister.

My sister and I are quite distant from each other - not just geographically, but emotionally as well. I can forgive her for the way she treated me 30+ years ago...but she is still "picking" on me. I do wish we had a close, healthy relationship, but every time one of us tried, something always happens to mess it up. It feels better to me just to keep a lot of distance there.

We're not enemies or at each other's throats - but let's just say, I talk more to my mailman and my dentist than I talk to my sister.

Originally posted by EnigmaXOXO

Kane and Able…

Unfortunately, while I wish so much that I had a sister and best friend wrapped up in one, it is difficult for me to understand or cope with the complexities of BPD. My daughter has also been diagnosed with the same affliction.

I've purchased the book called Walking on Eggshells in an attempt to better educate myself on the subject.

Dysfunction - the "gift" that keeps giving. That one's for Meanon! ;):laugh:

What is BPD is it Bipolor Disorder?

I have three brothers and three sisters (blended fam)

brother 15 - yeah, close, I take him to school every day.

brother 26 - sorta, he's always in trouble (jail, drugs) we talk at times, some more than others

brother 30-something - don't talk except for family gatherings

sister 29 (5 months older than me :o ) - talk about every two weeks, hang out and do stuff (with our kids)

sister 30- don't talk except for family gatherings

sister 30-something - don't talk except for family gatherings

I'm not missing much. No big deal to me.

Gosh, most of you might now that I am super close to my sisters. I have my little sister (11) who is part of my heart, we share both parents, I would do anything for her. Then I have my big sister (24) who I love so much. She's not actually my sister, she's my cousin but my mom adopted her when she was a few months old because my aunt was not being responsible and she was real young. Anyways I see her as 100% my sister and if she were not around I think my life would be boring. Now she lives about 2 hours away but we talk every day!!!

Then on my dad's side :rolleyes: He has a lot of daughters and one son. He had them before he got married with my mom. I only get along with one of the girls (42) and the only boy(40) he has. But it's not the same as my two sisters. My half sister once told my ex husband's mom that I was cheating on him, which was not true. I still talk to her but I hold resent for that!!!

am the youngest of six siblings (think Mexican Brady Bunch, and I'm Cindy, lol). They are 5-12 years older than me, so I pretty much was raised as an only child -- I'm closer to their kids than them. Safest thing to say is that I love them, but they drive me nuts in their own little ways.

the absolute worst part of it is that even though I'm going to be 39, they still act like I don't have a lick of sense and they've got to tell me what to do. I HATE THAT :mad:

thank God for my best friends, I don't know how I'd have survived without them!

YellowLioness

Lol. We don't see eachother that much.

I do love my brother, but he's at college. We used to hate eachother, but as we have matured over the years, we can talk like civil human beings with out worrying about whose side of the car who is on. ;-)

I am 25 and my sister is 21 (same parents) we are pretty close even though we live states away. My half sister 11 and brother 9 are close to me too. I live in AZ and they live in ID so we talk pretty often as we can.

My daughter who is 2 has the same birthday as my sister who is 21, so that's pretty special to us too.

Dysfunction - the "gift" that keeps giving. That one's for Meanon!

Cheers! :D

Dysfunction will NOT be on my Xmas list, this year.

I have a very close relationship with my sister. I looked after her a lot when she was little. Now she's like a best friend.

• 2 months later...

I am 25 and my sister is 22. We used to fight a fair bit when we were younger but as we got older got along more.

Strange how that happens.

She lives in another state now with her boyfriend. We catch up for a quick chat when she comes and visits but that's about it.

LucreziaBorgia

I see my brothers (32 and 27) at Christmas and Thanksgiving (when we decide to go - we skipped Thanksgiving with my father's family this year). We exchange probably ten-twenty polite words and then when we leave we go our separate ways, and generally don't speak again until the next holiday or family gathering. I haven't had a meaningful conversation with either in over ten years. My family are pretty much friendly strangers with familiar faces.

I am closer to my husband's family than my own.

I have 2 sisters..

One I haven't seen since I was 5.. :(

One that I grew up with.. We are close now.. and for the most part had each others back when we were growing up. I think it was largely due to the fact that we moved all of the time when we were growing up so a lot of the time all we had was one another.

However we are very different from one another.. but again I think the differences we have is probably what keeps us close, because we can offer a different perspective to one anothers lives.

BTW both of my sisters are older than me, I'm the baby;)

i have 2 younger brothers, I am oldest at 39

middle is 35, a eye surgeon in Chicago

youngest is 27, in L.A. trying to bust into Hollywood as a director

I am closest with the youngest cause I used to babysit him and change his diapers and feed him when he was a baby and he and I have similar personalities. Don't know what happened to the middle one, he is a type "A" personality who is overly emotional, but we get along OK.

I am the youngest of 3. I'm almost 34, my sis is 36 and my bro is 43.

We all are close and get along great. Most of the time. Growing up there were tons of fights and hair pulling, I really hated my sister and my brother sometimes tormented me - Pretty normal stuff I'd say, but as we have grown older we do appreciate eachother alot. My sister and I laugh about some of the things we'd do to eachother as teenagers! Oh our poor poor parents! LMFAO!!

My brother and I are more alike. But my sister and I are alot closer.

• 1 month later...
Nubianangel

Yes and no.

I have four other siblings through mom

27 yr. old brother-not close, like Tiki's sibling, he calls when he needs something; he's not responsible and expects to be taken care of.

22 yr. old sister-very close, we hang out every week (and to think we used to hate each other because she ALWAYS wanted to follow behind my friends and I)

17 yr. old twin brothers-not close but then again they're 11 yrs younger than me; I'm there for them whenever they need me though.:love:

I have two more through my philandering dad

19 yr. old sister-not close and she live in the south

18 yr. old brother-not close;never met him :(

Wish I was close to ALL of my sibs but such is life. As in the case with my sister, maybe things will change as we continue to grow up.

I have a younger brother age: 16 and we get along better now that I moved out of the house.

We used to argue a lot and then we became really really close. But then I moved out and he was jealous I didn't hang out with him like I used to, but we fixed that and now we are better than ever. I also support him in his music hobby and he appreciates that a lot.

• 3 months later...

I have a sister that when I do get along with her it is great, however she has a way of distorting the truth and getting mad at me for things then refusing to let me see my nephew because of it.

I also have a brother who every other day I guess I would say I am close to. I know he would do anything for me and he knows I would do the same for him, we just don't talk or hang out as much as we used to since he got married.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

My sis is one year older, bro is 2 yrs older and younger sis -5 yrs.

The older ones picked on me from day 1. Older Sis and I had lots of screaming, pinching, arm punching matches. We fought until the day she married at 19 and moved far away.

She hasn't moved back, but we visit about 1-2 times a year and we are great friends. We were always close in that we could tell each other everything and anything. It was a love-hate relationship...I was the geeky baby immature sister.

The younger sis was our cutie, although I picked on her cuz I had no one else to pick on.

My bro was just plain big brother teaser. We all get along and have fun when we're together. Both sis's live far away and we don't call each other near enough (or email). We kinda just keep on track through mom.

Funny, my older sis really doesn't remember all the fighting but I will NEVER forget those sharp nails of hers on my shoulder!!

I have 3 baby sisters.

23, 19, and 15.

The oldest and I get along great, we were close when we were kids but we did fight a lot, I still have some scars from her teeth, lol. Were still pretty close, we hang out, drink together, play pool, and what not.

the next, the 19yr old, we used to be close, but now our relationship is a little strained. She's still my baby sis and I've got her back, but she's got this dirt bag bi-polar abusive boyfriend who I'm not very fond of. I had to get a restraining order against him. She's made it pretty clear that she doesn't want my help with that situation. I try to talk to her and to see her but she avoids my whole family.

the littlest, and I aren't very close, I moved out of the house when she was very little, probably about 9-10yrs old. She's a paranoid schizophrenic and that's hard to deal with, she's medicated now, but it's hard to be close with her, it's a little one sided.