Mom Pushes Me Away

KenzMichelle

KenzMichelle

I know my mom loves me, she knows I love her. My mom is honestly my best friend. I always like sitting by her, talking to her, being stupid with her, etc. We're perverted together..practically sisters. Lately, my mom has been getting mad every time I want to be close to her. If she sits down, I get up and sit next her, and she sighs. My six year old brother and I fight over who gets to sit by her and she yells "You are sixteen, grow the hell up." I feel as if my mom doesn't understand that she's the only friend I'm around anymore. Ever since my actual best friend from school got a boyfriend, she's been ignoring me or too busy. She never wants to hangout and my other friends are involved in so many activities or have jobs, some just live too far away. I want my mom to understand that I just need her and need to be around someone, and that she's all I have.

It can be very hard when you feel isolated from your peers. What are you doing to make new friends your own age? Can you ask your mom to sign you up for a team or camp or some other activity that will get you out of the house?

Ruby Slippers

You're nearing adulthood and your mother is encouraging you to "spread your wings" and make some friends your own age outside the family. It sounds like she's ready to have more time and space for herself as well, so this will be very healthy for both of you. Much better this than she try to cling to you as her best friend forever because she doesn't have a life of her own :o

• Like 1
LuckyLady13

Oh dear, what a tough spot. Are you old enough and capable of getting a job? You said your old friends have boyfriends/jobs so it sounds like you're getting left in the dust there. What you've got to do is join in! Start catching up to everybody else.

I do understand how you feel. And it's hard to take the first few steps away from what you're used to. But you'll gain momentum once you start and things get easier. I promise.

Do tell your mom that she is all you feel you have so that she understands but then back off and start going in your own direction and put a good life for yourself together. Get a job if you can. Start dating. Even if you're spreading your wings and starting to burn your own path in life, it will be good for your mother to just know how you feel so she'll be there on the tougher days that pop up here and there.