Moving back in with your family after a break up

If this is old news/covered a million times before... please delete me!:o

I've just broken up with my boyfriend of 2 years. I had been living at his house for over a year, which looking back on I had probably moved in too soon.

So at the ripe old age of 30, I've had to move my lifelong belongings back to me mothers house while I arrange some sort of living arrangement.

She is driving me nuts!

Has anyone else been through the same thing?

• Like 1

After college I moved back in with my parents to save money while I was in graduate school. We set some ground rules up front which helped a lot.

Meanwhile, look for a new place. Get a roommate if you have to. Spend as little time there as possible there. A 2nd job may help with the time & get you out of the house into your own place faster

• Author

Thank you :) a second job might be a good idea...

I'm just stuck in a rut where I don't want to rent and be stuck in a contract with a room mate or a house share. I'm not even sure I want to share with people at all :)

I'll buy a house by myself in time but it's going to need a couple months more to find what I'm looking for. By which time, me and my mother won't be on speaking terms anymore!

It's the same old tug of war -- you are an adult but mom still thinks of you as her daughter, little girl. Her roof / her rules.

Ruining your relationship with your mom isn't the answer. Can you bite your tongue, which is easier if you're there less?

Are you comfortable posting about specific points of contention? Maybe we can help.

My husband and I are staying with my parents and helping with rent until we are both working full time again and can get our own apartment. It is quite an adjustment after being on my own for 6-7 years. I am almost 25, husband is 30...sometimes it feels as if you failed to be forced to move back home temporarily. My mom is driving me nuts too...I think this happens with most families...do everything you can to get back on your own...even if that means renting a room or studio.

• Like 1
  • Author

I think I may have to rent a room from someone asap, until I figure out what's happening with the buy situation.

Just putting down deposits and rent upfront will be detrimental to the house deposit fund.

I guess its just time to suck it up and wait a little longer if I have to :)

thanks guys

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ambientplace

I know how it feels to move back in after living away from home for a long time. It is the worst feeling if your parents are not keen on having an open mind. It may be nice to visit your parents to vent out your frustrations about your ex, if you find yourself with no friends to talk to, but to move in with them may mean that you have to tolerate your parents' rules, since it is their house after all. If you don't want to rent because the idea of roommates irritates you, then you could consider renting a bachelor's unit and working harder at work to get that promotion so that you could save up for a down-payment to finance a home purchase.

Why not moving to your own place.

I think that match more with the age of 30.

Beside it wont change because its their house they can say or do whatever they want.