Parents twisting Bible verses

I really hate it when parents twist Bible verses and use them for their own purposes and ignore the other part about how parents should treat their children. For example they think "honor your father and mother" means they have a free pass to abuse and treat you like their possession and we have to sit there and take it. And if you stand up to yourself you're being "disrespectful". This kind of thinking is the reason why so cases go unreported and lots of people have psychological issues. Watch this video, it's long but very informative: Abusive Parenting & Authority of the Parent - YouTube

Maddy, I am not sure what you are going through, but I myself am a recovering "enmeshed child." In other words, my loyalty to my parents was continually tested and manipulated by them growing up. My favorite story is when I came downstairs, my mother raised her eyebrows and said "THAT'S what you're wearing???" And I sagged my shoulders, went back upstairs, and changed.

Did I mention that the above happened when I was 23 years old???

My enmeshment and irrational fear of some apocalyptic event should I ever "dishonor" them stemmed from the fact that they were very......particular about the mold I was to fit, and one too many summers at Bill Gothard (an uber-legalistic spiritual Christian teacher) weeks.

You are right about the out of context stuff. Ephesians 6 DOES say that parents should not exasperate their children. And "honor" does not mean let them dictate every step of your life, especially when you are a legal adult.

I don't know how old you are, but it took me more than 30 years to realize there would not be an irreversibly cataclysmic disturbance in the force if I didn't do what they wanted. I hope it doesn't take you that long.

(((Maddy)))

• Like 1