Making a good impression

planetpower

planetpower

So this past weekend, we met my brother's new girlfriend and she's very nice. :)

I feel kinda bad, because when we went to the city together, there was a small mishap at the restaurant we went to. We decided to split a meal between the four of us, so each couple would pay $15 with tax for each of our meals to keep it cheap. After we ordered, the confusion began. Apparently we ordered two meals per bucket, that really came in one. So we ordered a second one, being under the impression that each bucket was $15 rather than two buckets in one. My husband and I didn't order drinks because we're on a budget. We almost had a heart attack when we got the bill. $80! Neither of us even got drinks, but my brother and his girlfriend did.

They were going to pay half, but we were still pretty upset about the bill because we were only expecting to pay $15 per couple plus tax and tip...not $40. We're on a pretty tight budget, so we really couldn't afford that amount, much less understood why we were all charged so much. After the waitress and manager explained it to us, they took $20 off of the bill. I handed my brother's girlfriend the cash I had on me (she said she'd pay the bill) and I told them not to worry about the gas or parking fees they owed us (we carpooled and agreed to split the gas and parking fee). So I think we were pretty much even since neither of us ordered drinks. I feel really bad about complaining, I didn't mean to make a bad impression, but we were not prepared to pay $40. We shared the meal and didn't order any drinks for a reason!

passingbreeze

If finances were tight for you and your husband, it would have been a better idea to stay home and have a modest dinner party for your brother and his new gf. You could fix spaghetti and salad and ice tea and it would have cost you next to nothing. Also no gas and parking expense. No need to take them out of town to a restaurant for dinner when you are short on money.

• Like 2
  • Author
planetpower

Good point. I was rather annoyed no one listened to my idea to take the train....but we will definitely take public transport next time we visit the city. Too much of a pain to drive there.