Accidentally scold older brother for free ride, feeling bad

Life'sGood

The story goes like this... I bought a new car a year ago, and since then my brother uses it and only pay for gas (we split gas money). I pay for the monthly installments, servicing and on top of that, I have other bills to pay. On the other hand, my brother don't have any commitments at all. Not even phone bill. We live with our parents and we get paid almost the same every month.

So, this month, i have to renew my car insurance, that cost a lot of money. The car is due to service too and so i asked my brother to help me with it. He said, i will see if i can, i am going to philippines remember?

That was the time I got fired up. And I told him, you use this car for free (more than I use it), and I am the one who pays for everything, the service will not cost much, and you cannot even do that favour for me?

This is more of a rant actually, he stop talking to me the whole car ride home and now I feel very bad.

Our relationship is very good actually.. We go to places together.. Party together and stuff..

*sigh*

I don't get the "Accidentally". I don't think there was anything accidental about it.

#You said what was on your mind.

What you said was perfectly valid.

HOW you said it, may have been indelicate, but WHAT you said, had a point.

Your only regret is that you were harsh.

So, he's going to the Philippines?

Good for him - anyone holding a gun to his head?

Is it for study or pleasure?

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't get the "Accidentally". I don't think there was anything accidental about it.

#You said what was on your mind.

What you said was perfectly valid.

HOW you said it, may have been indelicate, but WHAT you said, had a point.

Your only regret is that you were harsh.

So, he's going to the Philippines?

Good for him - anyone holding a gun to his head?

Is it for study or pleasure?

For one of our friend's wedding. He's getting married to a girl from there. Yes.. Not accidentally, I just burst and said the things with a few pitches higher than what I should. Maybe I have been holding everything in for a while now.

I am assuming the installments mean you have a car loan. In this case, the car sounds like it legally belongs to you. He may he use the car, but it still does not belong to him. It's still your liability. Therefore, since he uses the car, he should be sharing at least half the cost of all maintenance and gas (I am assuming you share the car? Or does only he just use the car?). Since the title wouldn't be in his name, I can understand why he wouldn't share in your installments. (This would make it more complicated because if he were to ever stop using the car, he may feel he is entitled to what he invested into it). However, when you are married, this is a different story. I have a car in my name, but my husband assists with the payments for obvious reasons. However, you are just brother and sister...

• Author

I am paying for the installments and everything else, he just use it. I was only asking him for a one time service because I could not afford it next month. I was not asking him to have a share in it.