How to deal with my clingy mother when I move back home?

pbjbear

Im moving back to my hometown in a few months and Ill be living at home until I find a full time job. I have a part time one lined up.

Im grateful my parents are letting me live with them. So I want to state that. My mother has some health problems, nothing too major, but she has agreed if I cook 4 days a week and help her with alot of the cleaning and running errands I dont have to pay rent.

My mother is very clingy. Shes part of the reason why I really like living by myself and being independent. She rides my a*s with everything. Its really her only major flaw but I am anticipating her grilling me about my job search every day of the week and receiving 10 emails a day about it during the day. She did this sort of behavior when I lived at home before (obviously not about job hunting, but other things...) She also constantly worries about everything and blows everything out of proportion. Everytime I open my phone she wants to know who Im texting, what I am saying, yadda yadda. I dont mind telling her where Im going when I leave the house but when I come home I have to discuss everything my friends have said to me. She has a bad memory as well and if I tell her something (where she doesnt remember me previously telling her) she will accuse me of lying and such.

I have told her many times in nice ways to stop so Ive been assertive. My family has accepted this is the way she is.

Tips for keeping my sanity???? THANKS

My mom is this way too - I got nothing for you except to just suck it up. Smile and tell her you really have to go do a job search or something, deescalate the situation, then go to your room. I don't see a long term solution except to try to get out ASAP

• Like 1