Job Opportunity - Leaving Family

aroll32

Hello all,

Let me start my post with a background:

I am 22, and am in my last semester of undergraduate school. My mom is one of the most important people in my life. Without going in to detail, she single handedly salvaged me, and my sister's lives. Me, her, and my two sisters are closer than any other family I've ever met.

So, tonight I met with a young lady who is recruiting for her firm, which is about 4 hours away from my hometown. Basically, her partner begged her to get more alumni from our university to come to their firm. I am extremely interested, and it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime.

However, my mom has recently gone through her "empty nest" stage (she's a single mom). Me and my sisters have all left home, although I just moved to my own apartment in the same city, my two sisters are in other cities.

That being said, she thinks that I will be staying here forever (I thought I would be too). I told her about the opportunity, but I left out the fact that it's in another city. I honestly can't do something that will break her heart even more, so I'm conflicted about what to do.

I still have a year until I would be working at this firm (assuming I get an offer), so nothing is definite, but I am about 90% sure that I will get an offer.

So, assuming this all works out, how should I break the news to my mom?

Our grandmother (not in the best shape) is living with her, and recently, her dog had a spinal injury and is paralyzed from the waist down. She's been so stressed and sad lately that I couldn't stand to leave her like that.

I know that I can and should leave, but I can't help but feel this obligation to be there for my mom. She's the greatest human being on this planet, and I know that if I left our home town, she'd be heartbroken.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Awww. That's a sad situation. But go! Go! Go! U do have a obligation to your family. Youre supposed to. Call her everyday. Send her thinks surprise her at times. You have to live your life. And at no point were you ever gonna meet someone and move out or have a family? Sooner or later u have to go. But only physically. Your mom may be in a bad place emotionally right now but things change. Of course she'll be sad momentarily but as a mother myself I can tell you there's no way I wouldn't want my daughter to take advantage of the same opportunity. .. and if you dont go because of her she'll eventually blame herself. Let your life take flight! Just dont forget where you came from!

• Like 1
She's the greatest human being on this planet, and I know that if I left our home town, she'd be heartbroken.

If she's the greatest human being on the planet, she will understand. She may be a bit sad, but she'll put your needs above hers and ultimately be happy that you got this opportunity. And four hours is not that far away. You can visit her pretty often if you'd like.

So, I'd just tell her as soon as possible. That way she'll have a whole year to get used to the idea.

Her sadness will pass - it is a painful but necessary process.

I am sure you will keep in touch.

I second what Brianna said, don't forget where you have come from.

Take care,

Eve x