Are parents/families suppose to know everything

LauraP

So far I have a good relationship with my parents, my older sister and other family members. The only thing they don't know is I'm a sexually active woman and have been since my high school years. My number is in the 20ish digits and I'm in a open relationship (though he's not into other girls, it's just me with another man and he's ok with it) but if they knew, it would be as if a train struck them, though it's not affecting my school grades, nor work at all.

So this is what at times I've wondered. Up to what point are your parents suppose to know every single part of our private life?

Besides, apart from this I don't cause harm to anyone.

Up to what point are your parents suppose to know every single part of our private life?

They're not really supposed to know any of your private life. I'm guessing you are asking about your personal life.

It's up to you how much you want to tell them, and what the reasons are for telling them. Do they need to know how many consensual partners you've had in the past? I can't think of a single good reason for them to know that. Do they need to know you have two boyfriends, essentially? Not really, unless you plan on inviting them both to Christmas dinner, or something, then you should probably give the family a heads up first.

You don't have to feel badly about keeping private things private. If you want to be more open about your personal life, that's okay, too, but there might be some consequences. It's up to you.

My parents don't get along whatsoever...yet my mom still contacts my dad whenever she has an issue with my brother and I whom are both adults. I am getting into modeling and she recently messaged my dad that the photos I am doing are too provocative and I guess to talk to me about it like I am a minor or something. I really should have kept it to myself after all. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
todreaminblue
So far I have a good relationship with my parents, my older sister and other family members. The only thing they don't know is I'm a sexually active woman and have been since my high school years. My number is in the 20ish digits and I'm in a open relationship (though he's not into other girls, it's just me with another man and he's ok with it) but if they knew, it would be as if a train struck them, though it's not affecting my school grades, nor work at all.

So this is what at times I've wondered. Up to what point are your parents suppose to know every single part of our private life?

Anything intimate and private that is discussed between you and your partner should stay private including your sexual life..i have made this mistake in the past i wont repeat it that is my opinion....deb

• Like 4
  • Author
well Laura...

this news may hit them harder than a train so it will be better for you to keep it secret. its good to share things with family and be friendly with them. however maintain an individual space.

Yes, this is a secret between my bf and me, no one else.

i would further advice you to indulge yourself in a serious relationship as you have grown up now rather than shaking your ass on any tom, dick and harry.
Well the way I see it, this is just as serious as a committed (close) relationship in the way that it has have rules too. My bf is ok as long as he's the bf while all the other guys are just for quick lust. But yes, we do care about each other just not in the monogamous typical way.

My mom has always told me that there are things parents shouldn't know. And she was basically talking about sex.

So the only things I tell her are whether I have a BF or not. Anything else she doesn't need or want to know.

• Author
Why would you tell your parents about your sex life?! O_o
I wouldn't but was only asking. Some say your parents should know about you but I say it depends.

And yes I would be a complete fool to tell them about it.

• 2 weeks later...

My family is very gossipy and I have learned the hard way not to share anything personal with them, especially when it comes to dating, sex or relationships.

Daniel V. Ross

It is really a very important thing for you to have a good communication with your parents. Our parents just want to have the best for us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author
It is really a very important thing for you to have a good communication with your parents. Our parents just want to have the best for us.
If I told them, they would completely freak out. I don't think it would be wise to create an unnecessary drama when everything is going well.

This is very true, but at the same time there are things which ought to be kept private. Not strictly secret, but private. Some families are very open when it comes to sex (I used to know a girl in high school who seemed to compete with her mum about who had the best boyfriend/sex life) but for some it just doesn't come up.

So, you can keep it as a need-to-know thing for when you just have to talk to someone and none of your friends are in Sex-And-The-City Mode, or if it's important to you that they know, let them know. Just figure out what is most comfortable and appropriate in the context of your own family. I, myself, am perfectly content with letting my parents assume I'm a virgin until I'm pregnant ;)

I don't talk about that sort info with my parents ever since I got screamed at and called a slut and whore for having sex out of wedlock.

• Like 3

You are an adult. You don't have to tell your family, or anyone else, about your private life. It is your decision who to share things with, and not anyone's right to know.

• Like 1
If I told them, they would completely freak out. I don't think it would be wise to create an unnecessary drama when everything is going well.

It's none of their business, if you're 18. It's hard to start thinking that way, but it's up to you to make the switch. When I was 30 and had been married 9 years, I STILL felt guilty having sex, lol. But my mom didn't want to know anything about that stuff. It was just ME thinking that way.

I think it should be private. Anyway, they aren't stupid. They can guess what me and my gf do when we go to my room to "nap". :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping things that only affect yourself, and your own social group to yourself is, in my opinion, one's own prerogative. However, if what you do affects them, then it should be known to them.

In my family, these things they don't know; nor do i care to enlighten them.

I know there are families who discuss them though, and a part of me wishes that we could.

• 7 months later...
  • Author
In my family, these things they don't know; nor do i care to enlighten them.

I know there are families who discuss them though, and a part of me wishes that we could.

Yeah there is no point in sharing that with them.

I have two different facebook accounts anyway; one contains my main friends, relatives and family. The other has no picture and it's under another sn; that's where I write whatever I want to.

• Author
I don't talk about that sort info with my parents ever since I got screamed at and called a slut and whore for having sex out of wedlock.
True that really sucks esp. if it's coming out from the very same person that brought you to life.

My parents and family members still think I'm just a girl that had a couple long-term relationships and nothing more. Some things are just left unsaid and kept in secret.

Gosh, my girls tell me just about everything that's going off in their relationships. This change has happened in probably the last two years.They omit sexual details but they come to me when they are stressed or need to work out stuff. They even chat to H about things because he is always spot on. Sometimes it is better for them to talk to him if they know I will be too emotional. They also can talk to my sister and brother in confidence.

I am their first choice to approach for money but they understand that I always discuss things with H and it will be a joint decision.

I think it is good to talk about things with ones parents. We are always on their side even though we will still point out errors.

We bought them into this horrible world.. so should listen.

Take care,

Eve x

Ross MwcFan

Why would it be as though a train struck them? Do they think people only become sexually active once they're in their 30's or 40's?

• 2 weeks later...
Why would it be as though a train struck them? Do they think people only become sexually active once they're in their 30's or 40's?

Let's just say that some parents have *ahem* more RIGID ideas about what's ultimately "acceptable" behavior for their 20 something daughters.

It ain't pretty but boy is it a reality :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
I know how they are and I don't need the ''OMG, what I did wrong'' reactions nor inquiries if I was ever abused or something, which I never was. Though they clearly know I'm not a virgin (and never asked either), they assume I'm the ''long-term relationship'' only girl and not a very sexually active one.