Sister in Law and Husband From Hell

ConfusedOne

Just split with my husband of over 25 years. The reason? Not his four year affair which I didn't know about, but the fact that his sister knew about it, actually socialized with them as a couple at least once, received at least one phone call from this 'other woman," and apparently knew about her for a long time. Ex-husband and sister told his mother and everyone I was nuts and paranoid etc. when I said I was sure the sister was involved. In any case, she absolutely refused to apologize to me.

Before I found out she had been involved with the girlfriend, she also refused to speak to my husband at my home, insisting on speaking to him privately at all times. My Husband totally took her side and refused to make her apologize to me and completely stuck up for her. This is a longtime pattern of theirs--they have always ganged up on me and he expected me to worship her when she is rotten to me.

Anyway, I could not forgive this situation and said some mean things in retaliation. Apparently, his family thinks I am supposed to feel remorseful, but the truth of the matter is, I don't feel remorseful. They hurt me for years and I think I was justified. Anyone have an opinion?

My opinion is that as soon as you get free of this toxic family, your life will blossom in a way that you never could have imagined.

You know, there's cheating and then there's CHEATING, where the cheater adds insult to injury. Your husband and his sister had their little joint insult act going on to perfection. My sympathies, and congratulations on your newfound clarity and freedom.

"Toxic Family"......tooooo funny Sole!!

Confused.....I think you are TOTALLY justified. I think those two dysfunctional boobs got off well with you giving them just a tongue lashing. You DID manage to keep all the assets and such didn't you???? After 25 years.....he OWES YOU!

Do you have any kids together? How are they feeling about it?

HokeyReligions

Good. I hope their arrogance eats away at them while you are moving on with your life. Maybe your former SIL will have blood pressure problems & blow a gasket because she sits around feeling outraged and thinking to herself "How dare she [meaning you] expect me to apologize to her. Well!"

I'm sorry that your marriage ended - I know that is painful. But it doesn't sound like you have anything at all to feel remorseful about.

• 6 months later...