Need help with parents!

innocent

:( What should I do about my parents whose rules for me, now a freshman in college resemble that of a high schooler?

I respect their rules and hve never broken them, and have never given them any reason to not trust me, ever, and they still treat me like this

I have talked to them before about my curfew, which is the biggest problem, it is 11:30 which is unreasonable to me. All of my friends even when we were juniors and seniors in high school could come home whenever they wanted, or at the earliest 2 in the morning., which is my curfew now, when I was a junior in high school my curffew was 10:00, and all of my friends always got to go out together, and bond, and I had to go home, because "girls who stayed out that late were just asking for trouble".

I am now in college and always come back at a reasonable time.

My parents think that they have been really leniant and let me do alot of things but I feel like I have also missed out on alot, and had to lie to them alot, but they don't know that I have at all. I kind of resent this about them, and I understand completely that they are doing it because they care and worry about me, but if you never let me go and do things I will never learn, alot of what I have learned I have done so by lying to them about where I was or what I was doing. I need them to let me make my own decisions and live my life, but I don't want to fight with them or hurt anyone's feelings I wish that I didn't worry about this but it bothers me and even if they did let me have a later curfew, or no curfew, I would still come home at a time that they would find reasonable, it's just the principle of the thing that bothers me. what should I do?

May i ask how old you are???

When you say juniors and seniors in high school it means nothing to me as we have a different schooling system here.

I can so relate, even though my parents were never as tough at 10pm.

I think the only thing you can do is talk to them about it. Explain exactly what you said - that you're old enough to make your own decisions, and yes you may make mistakes, but if you don't, you'll never learn to be on your own.

All these over-protective parents everywhere *sigh* I pray I'm not like that if i ever have kids.

-yes

well that doesn't sounds reasonable then... talk to them. that's all you can do, rlly - until you move out.

-yes

• 2 weeks later...

your 17 almost 18 and your curfew is 11:30 I am 15 and my curfew is 12:00 but i have to call my parents and they are very very strict and i am wiht people that only they approve of but still its the best i have got

my advice to you is when your 18 tell them that you would like a later curfew and talk to them about it say you are older now and feel like you can handle a later curfew hope it works out for you

I am a parent myself, and although my son is only 16 months, I would probably let him stay out til 2:00 :p Just kidding...

The thing about parents is, they know what they were like when they were your age. I know that when my son turns your age, I will probably be just as strict as your parents are, because I don't want my son falling into the same things I did.

I know you've heard it before, but I'll say it again..."As long as you are living under my roof...you must abide by my rules." Your answer is this: If you don't like it, deal with it until you are old enough to move out. If your parents don't want you to move out, then they will probably be willing to negotiate.

Just know that your parents are not out to ruin your social life. They love you, and want the best for you.

Love them back by following their standards.