feeling overspoiled... this is crazy!

yes

I have the oddest problem. I'm very discomforted by the fact that my parents (with whom i live) totally spoil me - i can borrow the car whenever i want (in fact, they make me borrow it b/c they'd rather i not take the bus at night), if i look at something in a store, they'll ask if i want it (within reason, not at a car dealership or anything =)), I have enough clothes for two people, etc.

So why not just sit back and enjoy? Many people would love to have the comfort I get.

But I feel kind of bad about it. For one thing, I feel like it's undeserved - i'm the only kid, and that's why it happens, - b/c they sort of have nobody else to spoil.

Also, the things that one has earned are so much easier to appreciate and be proud of. The clothes i bought myself last year with the $ i earned are just more pleasant to wear than all the ones they've bought for me. Is this odd?

I really want to move out and i'd rather have less comfort, but it'd be what *I*'ve created for myself. *shrug*

Any comments? Anybody ever felt the same?

-yes

Yes,

I was like that too growing up. My family spoiled me big time. I always got a new wardrobe before school started provided by my grandmother. My dad bought me a car before I was 16 and then when I was 19 I decided I "didn't like it anymore" so he bought me another one! He is paying for all of my school loans now (even though I am married) and paying for my car until I get out of school. If i ever need money,he or my granny shells it out. And my mom spent like $10,000 on my wedding!!

Even when I was growing up, if there was anything I wanted, I would eventually get it.

The problem I see with that now is that I have a hard time saying no to things. And if there is something I want, I "have" to get it somehow. I am glad my hubby controls where our money goes, because if he didn't, we would be broke!!! It's caused a problem with me being really materialistic, but it's not that big of a deal. I am sure I will spoil my kids too. I don't think there is taht much wrong with it, within limits.

um..wow. yes, it's cool that you long for more independence. go for it.

and know this is coming from sheer jealousy but................

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

ps. grr!

I have also been very spoiled growing up. The problem hasn't been with getting whatever I wanted, but the amount of control that is placed over me by getting what I've wanted.

Now that I'm in college (and living at home with my mother), she bought me a new car. She's so freakin' bossy over me. I'm an only child, and I'll always be 'the baby,' and she watches/criticizes my every move. I want to move out so badly, but since she's bought me a car, I can't take it if I leave, which makes it almost impossible for me to leave home now.

I think she just bought me all my stuff to hold me hostage.

• Author

Exactly right - it's the control that comes with being spoiled that's freaky. I am also the only child, and it's crazy to be monitored like that. And of course, you feel guilty b/c they do "everything" for you, and you're wanting to get away.

Why can't you live without a car, by the way?

-yes

YES!! I for one can relate to your thread as if I were the one writing it first. In other words, what you described is exactly how my parents, etc. are towards me.. And, all of which currently goes on in my young 20 years of age...

And, at once thought, I thought I was thee only one with such over-spoilage..

But, there are of course many 'holes'-- good & bad of this scheme of treatment.. One of which includes independence...

Lata,

Originally posted by yes

Why can't you live without a car, by the way?

-yes

I can't live without a car, because I'm in college, and I don't live on campus which means I have to commute. Our city isn't large enough for buses or even taxis, so my car is my only way. :( it's bad.