Parents Split up, sister moves to college, now I'm stuck with mom?

sonofhud

I'm gonna leave out a lot of unimportant details, but the bottom line is my parents split up several years ago. They are still legally married but my dad lives in Florida and my mom lives here in Louisiana. I live with my mom. My sister just moved about 5 hours away to college last month. My mom has taken the seperation hard as well as my sister moving off to school. I go to school full time and work quite a few hours a week so there have been days in the last few weeks where we wouldnt even see each other and we live in the same house! I feel really bad for my mom; its so sad. I do care for her a lot(im a mommas boy), but I have to move out on my own at some point. There's also a possibility I might want to switch colleges in a year or 2. So do you guys have any advice on when and how I should move out. I feel like I have a responsibility to be there for her, but I want to have my own life too.

There are divorce groups in churches, if she's religious. There are support groups for just about anybody. Or she can find a bridge club, or discover a hobby then check out the local paper for groups that meet. Also, it might be a good time for her to consider returning to community college to brush up on something. Encourage her to volunteer and get out of the house. Not for meeting someone, but to socialize with people her own age. We are social creatures.

What a great son she has though! Good job.

Originally posted by NEONINK

What a great son she has though! Good job.

I was going to say the same thing. When I read your post my first reaction was aww, what a sweet guy. I have a son a couple years older than you and we're very close also because he's my only child (I also have a stepson but he lives with his mom now).

My son still lives at home. He works full-time and takes a couple of college classes, has a girlfriend and fairly busy social life, so there are a lot of times that I don't see him during the course of a day. But just knowing that he technically still lives here and I don't have to worry about where he is at night, etc. is a comforting feeling. I know that I will be very sad when he does move out, but it's a part of life and a part of growing up so I will be very proud of him also.

Let me just say that you don't have a responsibility to stay around for your mom and I'm sure she would feel guilty if you didn't go out and live your life. The important thing is to keep in touch when you do leave and to visit her. Ask for her advice on things and make sure she knows that she's still important in your life. That will go a long way towards helping her make the transition, and you too.

WOWSERS! I can only hope that my son loves me when he gets older as much as you love your Mom.

I say you should move out whenever you are ready to move out. If your Mom was terminally ill or something as serious as that; I would say stay around for now and try to plan your move. But since that is not the case, you have to live your own life and be your own man. Never stop callling Mom to say hello and stop by to help her with things around the house or just to have a cup of coffee. Treat her as though she was your very good friend. She will be proud of you I'm sure.

Bubbles