Senile dementia (alzheimers disease): Wondering if it's ethical to contact her doctor

Cariel

My parents moved in with us 10 years ago after my mother became severely disabled and my father was unable to cope. Since then, he's always displayed pretty much a "head in the sand" attitude whenever she'd crop up with some new health problem (which has been fairly frequently) until it became an emergency.

During the last year in particular I've noticed any number of signs that she is beginning a cycle of some sort of dementia (i.e., asking the same question 4 or 5 times within an hour, unable to find something right next to her, etc.), and it's become markedly worse in the last few months. When I tried to discuss it with dad, he refused to talk about it and told me it I didn't know what I was talking about...which I thought was almost humorous since I spend more time with her than he does.

In any case, I'm wondering if it's ethically "OK" for me to contact her primary-care physician directly. I know there are treatments for dementia that may at least improve her quality of life for a time (not to mention my own) if someone can just get her on the road.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

sounds like you're pretty much their primary care-givers, so no, I don't think there's a problem of ethics asking their doctor about or letting them know of these episodes. It's sort of like taking a kid to the doctor -- you know they hurt, but because they're unable to vocalize just what's wrong, you use your powers of observation to report to the pediatrician what you've observed with that child. I don't think it's any different when it's an adult involved, especially one who doesn't know or is unable to tell her doctor what's going on, herself.

HokeyReligions

My mom lives with us and I talk to her doctor. I'll set up appointments for her and go with her and will bring up my concerns while we are all in the room. If my mother doesn't like me "interfering" she'll tell me, but at least they know I'm concerned and the doctor will check into it. I would definately call her doctor and get her an appointment to be checked out. There are all sorts of new drugs on the market that can help slow down alzheimers, and other similar diseases.

• Author

Having had a bit of positive reinforcement here, I've left a message for her Dr.. Likely I'll have to make an appointment to talk to him (and pay for it out of pocket) but it will be worth it.

Y'all are terriffic!