Out of the loop

blind_otter

blind_otter

So I found out today - on Facebook of all places - that my nephew is in the hospital. I don't really know what happened or anything. Just so you know, we live in the same town so it's not like there is a distance issue or anything.

If I hadn't seen the Facebook status message, I would never have known. No one called me. This is par for the course in my family - it's like they are a unit, and I am this dangling, extra and unnecessary appendage that everyone is rather embarrassed about, and would rather have surgically removed. When my Dad was alive it was already like this to a certain extent, but he didn't tolerate it and forced me to be included. Now that he is gone, I'm just being phased out.

I know I don't get along with one of my sisters, but my mother and other sister - I thought things were OK.

I don't know what to do....I love my nephew, but I don't think I would be welcome to visit him at the hospital.

What can I do? I don't want to step on any toes. Maybe it would be better if I just didn't do anything?

well,

you could either call your sister and say I juts saw your facebook status and noticed (nefew) is in the hospital. Is there anything I can do? would he like a visit?

Or to show your support of him regardless of your family crap. You could send him a get well card and some balloons or a stuffed animal. That way he knows you care about him and you don't have to get into it with your sister.

I think it is really crappy you had to find out about this on facebook.

• Author
blind_otter

Thanks HG, yeah it kind of shocked me. In the past, despite our differences, we would band together in the bad times. Not anymore, I guess.

I don't know what I could send him that would be acceptible to my sister. She is very selective in terms of what she exposes her kids to....Maybe balloons. I don't know. I just don't know.

so maybe a coupe mylar balloons.

I guess you have to decide how hard you want to try to be part of the family.

TrivialPersuit

I think hotgurl's idea sounds pretty darn good!

Just send him a card and balloons. This can easily be done via a phone call from your closest florist. Maybe throw in a teddy bear.

I know I don't get along with one of my sisters, but my mother and other sister - I thought things were OK.

I don't know what to do....I love my nephew, but I don't think I would be welcome to visit him at the hospital.

What can I do? I don't want to step on any toes. Maybe it would be better if I just didn't do anything?

May I ask what the issue is with you and your S/O that your sister & family object to?

Anyway, if it is your nephew that is one of three kids that came to visit you at your house the other day in your front garden, as mentioned in your other thread, then by all means go visit him!!!!! Take some activity stuff for him to do while in hospital, like a Find the Word puzzle book, or colouring book and crayons, or some balloon stuff you blow on a straw (dunno the name of that stuff but it comes in a tube with a straw... kids like it).

Anything to keep his attention occupied and off his woes.

Perhaps a video if they have a TV and player there?