My mother is tired of babysitting

Taulu

My mother is over 60 years. She has been babysitting my brothers two kids (3years and 4years old) and my siters son who is ten.

5 days a week she wake up 6 am and drives 8 kilometers to my sisters house for being there when the boy wakes up. Then my mother drives him to school.

Moreover my mother is taking care of my brothers kids approx. 4 hour/day.

I can see that she is very tired of it. I mean she is retired but hasn't got time for herself. She shouldn't wake up so early for grandchildren. When you are retired you should get rest and do your own things.

I don't know what to do. I have tried to help my mom and be babysitting my brothers kids. But I have to work and I have my own family to take care.

I know my brother understand the situation and he is going to do something for it. But my sister refuse to see what's going on. She is very overly sensitive and it's hard to say her anything without gets her feelings hurt. :mad:

What can I do?

Hate to see my mom so tired. :(

My mother is over 60 years. She has been babysitting my brothers two kids (3years and 4years old) and my siters son who is ten.

5 days a week she wake up 6 am and drives 8 kilometers to my sisters house for being there when the boy wakes up. Then my mother drives him to school.

Moreover my mother is taking care of my brothers kids approx. 4 hour/day.

I can see that she is very tired of it. I mean she is retired but hasn't got time for herself. She shouldn't wake up so early for grandchildren. When you are retired you should get rest and do your own things.

I don't know what to do. I have tried to help my mom and be babysitting my brothers kids. But I have to work and I have my own family to take care.

I know my brother understand the situation and he is going to do something for it. But my sister refuse to see what's going on. She is very overly sensitive and it's hard to say her anything without gets her feelings hurt. :mad:

What can I do?

Hate to see my mom so tired. :(

Nothing.. I think.. at 60, your mother is old enough to make her own decisions...

I agree with Lizzie...your mother is old enough to take care of her own needs, and speak out for her own health and well-being.

What you can do, however, is to help your mom become more assertive so that she can become an effective self-advocate -- books or CDs on positive communication skills, setting healthy boundaries, etc. Or therapy.

My mom starting doing this exact kind of growth-work around age 65...everything IS indeed possible :)

• Author

Thanks

You are so right: My mother is old enough to take care of herself. :)

Ronni_W:

Your idea is great! My mother has always felt insecure about herself. I't would be very nice to give her a book of assertiveness. She is interested in psychology so I belive she would like the book like that.

Thank you :)