sick of my aunt

tobefree

sick of my aunt

I think one of my aunt is annoyingly gossipy. There is always grin on her face when she talks to us but i can consciously discern she is not what she seems to be.

When i was in a relationship with my ex, a chinese-malaysian lady, she was very curious to find out what's going on between she and me.

She would call my mom to spy on my relationship with my ex. Because my family was not doing well financially, she told my mom that i shouldn't have started the relationship considering my ex was from well-off family background and i was not. My ex didn't think it a problem at all. She probably has the bureaucratic view of life.

When my mom was ill and we waited for her outside the ward. She accused me of planning to settle in Malaysia with my ex, which i never thought of and which i wasn't willing to. She said "so you wanna go to malaysia and make big money? why are you such a fool or something like that...

I didn't answer her. actually i totally ignore her. I was more concerned with my mom than paid any attention to her.

My ex and i broke up with other reasons, nothing to do with our different financial background. My aunt will certainly think that my ex is rich and she won't come and live in china with me. She must be silently happy about it i guess.

Now whenever i think of her i feel sick in my stomach. i don't wish to meet her in person and i avoid meeting her too. what do you think i should do?

Any advice will be appreciated. thanks for listening.

If you see her, smile and be nice. Don't confide in her at all.

She is your aunt and unfortunately for you will be around. All you can do is change your behaviour when you do see her. Be courteous, but you don't have to hang out with her.

My mother's cousin was the same.

When they were young and the family was much closer together, this cousin was a spiteful gossipy cat.

So my mother resolved that whenever her cousin was in the room with her, she would refuse not only to not speak with her, but even look at her.

This caused endless frustration on my mother's cousin's side - because she never had any ammunition to crack my mother over the head with. It was also very difficult for my mother, because well..... she talks. A lot.

No really. I mean, a lot.

Can't think where I get it from!!

But she persevered. She actually spent a whole summer not talking to her cousin. And she said that after the first two times, it became really easy to do.

Everyone was trying to pressure my mother into talking with her cousin, but my mother steadfastly refused. She just told people she didn't want to.

After some time, people gave up.

It is astonishingly effective!!