20+ years

How do you separate?

Spouse says you can't afford it.

Backstory: He has an alcohol problem but won't admit it. He also says we can't afford a separation.

Need more information.

Why does he say that you can't afford a separation? Do you agree with him?

Have you sought legal advice?

• Like 3
Spouse says you can't afford it.

Who cares what spouse says?

You should gather your own information. Don't take financial advice from someone who is essentially "the enemy". Your spouse does not have your best interests at heart. He is saying what will give himself the best outcome. That is unlikely to tbe the same as what gives you the best outcome.

He also says we can't afford a separation.

And why do you believe him?

Best thing to do is see a lawyer who can advise. Take a brief summary of your financial situation: earnings, debts, assets, house value, etc. Most will do a FREE initial consultation so there's really no reason NOT to. You lose nothing except an hour of your time.

• Like 1
  • Author

Sorry it took me so long to respond, thank you both for your responses, I agree should see a lawyer.

I am just worried because we still share our accounts and I am worried he will notice a big withdrawal for a lawyer.

What if I can't find a lawyer that offers a free consultation? Would just gathering all the financial information I can find be the next best option in protecting myself?

What if I can't find a lawyer that offers a free consultation?

You can. Virtually every one does. Just google.

Would just gathering all the financial information I can find be the next best option in protecting myself?

Yes, you should gather as much financial information as you can to take to the lawyer. Incomes, house values, mortgage amounts, savings, assets, debts, credit card bills. Just an A4 summary of the totals, no more detail than that is needed.

LHi unleashed. So what have you done about things? You could also let folks on here know things like whether you have children, are they in school/ college, whether you own your house or are renting, whether you work too and whether you have close family where you could park yourself initially. These details should give a clearer picture so folks can advise you better.

Also, how serious are you about wanting to separate? Have you exhausted other avenues like counselling, therapy for your husband et al? Guess you need to give more detailed information. Warm wishes.