Cohabitation

GreatDadAlways

GreatDadAlways

I never imagined that life after a devastating divorce would be so great. I have remarried with the support of my wonderful children and they have commented on how happy I am. During the hell I truly thought my children were taken from me emotionally. But as so many have told me ... they figure things out and realize who is there for them.

With that said, I still have an enormous amount of spousal support over my head. My ex has moved on but her significant other is unemployed and a medical mess. Claims they aren't cohabitating because he has no income other than disability. Yet they have told my youngest that they won't marry until she is in college. Hmm, that sure is convenient timing ... translated to "We won't marry until your dad's money runs out.". By the way ... the disability is a scam too as he is constantly working on her (their) house.

I have evidence of cohabitation because I see medical supply deliveries at her home. More recently, she asked me to switch weekends because they have a "family" event. Turns out the family event is a fund raiser she sponsored for her bf.

Anyone know how much evidence it takes to terminate spousal based on cohabitation? I'm tired of the fraud so any thoughts would be helpful.

It depends on state law. In some places, cohabitation can reduce or end alimony. In others only remarriage works. So, talk to a lawyer.

So, talk to a lawyer.

Definitely worth a good lawyer visit.

Amen, not a question for the peanut gallery and the outcome may even depend on your lawyer's expertise.

Spend a little to save a lot...

Mr. Lucky

I would consult with a lawyer too. FWIW I had a cohabitation clause in my divorce agreement (I paid alimony) and my lawyer told me the best way to fight it in my area is to hire a private detective, gather photo and other evidence, etc. Every area is totally different in this are though which is why I would do a quick consult.

Yes, lawyer up.

I was going to say report his benefits cheating to the authorities, but causing him to lose income may be harmful to your case, so I'd put that one on ice for now.