How to tell the children we are getting divorced?

Is there a nice gentle way of telling the children their parents are getting divorced? Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.

There is no gentle way. Just be sure they know that it never had anything to do with them and that it doesn't change the way you feel about them.

• Like 1
  • Author
There is no gentle way. Just be sure they know that it never had anything to do with them and that it doesn't change the way you feel about them.

Thank you. I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done. I hope it will get my STBXH out of the house.

• Like 1
i am gutted

my kids are 16 and 19. when it came time to tell them I asked him to tell them instead of me as it was him that wanted out all along.

we were both there when he told them. They really didn't have much to say to him as they had seen and heard a lot in the past. They just shrugged him off really.

I think if your kiddies are little, yes definitely make sure that they know that they were not part of the problem.

Sad ae!

good luck to you,

R

• Like 1

I think if your kiddies are little, yes definitely make sure that they know that they were not part of the problem.

Yes to this. We had to tell our 5 year old. The focus was to make sure she knew it was nothing to do with her, and that mom and dad still loved her.

Also I do not speak ill of my STBXW around our daughter at all. It serves no purpose but will cause way too much damage to a young mind.

• Like 4
whichwayisup
Is there a nice gentle way of telling the children their parents are getting divorced? Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.

You two should go to a marriage counselor too, and continue on, even do family counseling to help with the adjustments, support for your kids etc. You two have to still co parent so the better you get along, have a respect for one another a 'mom and dad', then the better off your kids will be. No anger, no fighting, no playing games, no cruelness. Put the kids first, show them love, show them stability and make them feel safe.