I am liable for a $500 uninsured motorist fee thanks to STBX

My wife and i separated in April. She wanted the minivan. I kept the car. Both of our names are on the titles of the minivan and car. So stbx gets an insurance policy for the minivan. Long story short, she stops paying the insurance and now the DMV is demanding a $500 uninsured motorist fee which has to be paid soon or both of us get our licenses suspended. And she says she doesn't have the money and wants me to help her pay for it. Normally i would tell her to get bent, but i cant afford to have my license suspended. Just had to vent. Not sure is there is really a solution here.:mad:

Divorce her asap so stuff like that doesn't keep happening - because it will. Consider the $500 as part of the settlement. That's likely cheap compared to the rest of the cost of divorce.

Yes, pay it but keep a note of it. When it comes time to settle, make note that you've already paid this money for a vehicle which she has exclusive access to use, and reduce her settlement accordingly.

And get your name off it ASAP, and divorce her ASAP.

• Like 4

Sorry to read that.

Consider it 500 tuition at the university of why casual separations of legally co-mingled parties is a bad idea.

Here in Cali, penalties are light, 200 for first and 500 for second but no license suspension. Impound and tow at owner's expense. There's lots of folks who gamble to save some money or, like in your situation, are unknowingly driving without insurance.

IIRC, the insurance stuff was the first thing my exW and I dealt with when splitting up before filing. Home, car, health, life, etc. Separated coverages and changed beneficiaries as appropriate. Fortunately, I had a good agent since he called me when she cancelled my health insurance :D

DivorcedDad123

Since your name is on the title also, repo the van(just gets some friends to pick it up.It's not theft),get insurance on it,and keep it. Not your problem that she can't pay the insurance on it and why should she keep on driving it while you pay?

Unless you're court ordered to pay the insurance on it,anything you pay to her will be considered a "gift" and you most likely won't be able to get re-imbursed. The judge will see it as just a decision you made.

Pay the $500, get your name off of it and thank your lucky stars she didn't get into an accident! $500 is nothing compared to being held liable in a serious accident with no insurance (all your assets, home could be taken).