Custody/coparenting schedules

Have finalized and agreed on our parenting plan with mediator. We will share 50/50 custody. Partly based on my research we are using a schedule known as 5225. Essentially the kids are with me every Monday and Tuesday, with STBXW Wednesday and Thursday and the alternate weekends back and forth. The idea is that the kids are never away from the other parent for more than 5 days.

I'm beginning to question my logic and just was interest in any other opinions or successful arrangements.

• Like 1
TheBladeRunner
Have finalized and agreed on our parenting plan with mediator. We will share 50/50 custody. Partly based on my research we are using a schedule known as 5225. Essentially the kids are with me every Monday and Tuesday, with STBXW Wednesday and Thursday and the alternate weekends back and forth. The idea is that the kids are never away from the other parent for more than 5 days.

I'm beginning to question my logic and just was interest in any other opinions or successful arrangements.

Hey "R.O.D.", this is the best schedule ever depending on you pick up situation. I opted for the same deal as I get my daughter from school and it really helps with not having to see the XW not to mention we BOTH think this is better for our child. I literally have the same days as you, every Monday and Tuesday nights with the sliding weekend. The long weekends alone w/o the kid does suck at times, but I try to stay busy.

My STBXW and I do one week on, one week off. New week begins every Friday so I drop our daughter off at daycare on Friday, and my STBXW picks her up.

Only thing we add is every Tuesday night, my STBXW picks up our daughter and keeps her overnight. I do every Wednesday night. That makes sure we don't go a full week without having her over for a night.

Works well for us so far.

I wish I had an ex-wife who wasn't trying to rip my kids from me and minimize my time with them. I am amazed that there are some mothers who encourage their children to have a good relationship with their father instead of intentionally alienating. If you are one of these stand up moms, you should be applauded.

I wish I had an ex-wife who wasn't trying to rip my kids from me and minimize my time with them. I am amazed that there are some mothers who encourage their children to have a good relationship with their father instead of intentionally alienating. If you are one of these stand up moms, you should be applauded.

My STBXW and I don't get much right, but we both spent about 30 seconds during mediation agreeing that we'd do 50/50 and make sure our daughter gets equal time with both of us.

My STBXW and I don't get much right, but we both spent about 30 seconds during mediation agreeing that we'd do 50/50 and make sure our daughter gets equal time with both of us.

That's admirable of you both. My ex-wife needed (and still needs) complete control over all matters pertaining to our children. Even my alternate weekends is hard for her to handle. I wanted more time with them but she refused--so we had to go to court and you know how judges rule...they just love the default standard possession arrangement.

Evening,

What you forgot to mention to us is the age of the kid(s). This schedule properly known as the 2-2-5-5 parenting ting schedule, is what I also have and what has been blessed by the courts in situations where the kid(s) is under the age of 8yrs old.

The rationale is that it is better for young kids to not be away from one parent for a longer period of time. As they get older, it can then be changed to a week on/ week off

Like I said, this is exactly what I have, and I am the Mon, Tues parent. If you haven't finalized the agreement yet, I'll urge you to read what I have here to help eliminate any potential drama during exchanges. ALL EXCHANGES ARE TO TAKE PLACE AT SCHOOL / DAYCARE, AND AT A NEUTRAL LOCATION DURING THE HOLIDAYS......trust me you will want this ;)

Here is what a 2-2-5-5 access schedule looks like...

Week 1:

Monday:

Children with Parent 1 (overnight)

Parent 2 drops off child(ren) to school/daycare; Parent 1 picks up.

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Children with Parent 2 (overnight)

Parent 1 drops off child(ren) to school/daycare; Parent 2 picks up.

Thursday:

Friday:

Parent 2 drops off child(ren) to school/daycare; Parent 1 picks up.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Week 2:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Parent 1 drops off child(ren) to school/daycare; Parent 2 picks up.

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

** Repeat to Week 1 -> Monday and continue...

Note:

(a) Equal number of overnights and weekends between Parent 1 and Parent 2.

(b) Same two weekday nights are free each week for either parent to work or do other things.

© Same two weekday nights children are with either parent to schedule special activities (piano lessons, swimming lessons, etc...).

(d) On the days that the children transfer residences, one parent takes the children to school/daycare and the other parent picks them up. This gives BOTH parents the opportunity to get to know the school/teachers/daycare workers and minimizing transitions with both parents present.

Special arrangements for exchanges that happen when school/daycare is closed:

Depending on the day (Monday or Wednesday) the exchange should happen at a mutually agreed upon location, and the exchange should happen at the time the children are being picked up from school/daycare (or you can choose to agree to when they are dropped off). This would be for national holidays, professional development days when there is no class or when the daycare provider is not provided. Generally, if you look at a calendar year with holidays, it only happens once or twice.

• Author

Tayken,

Should have added. Daughter is 12 and son is 5. There has been little disagreement through mediation on either kids or finances. Funny though she finally took our documents to her attorney for review and he suggested she needs to either ask for support or get 60/40 on the kids. Funny how attorneys negotiate childrens' lives over money. So far she has said no to his advice and that we are in agreement.

Thanks for the advice on schedules. Our plans will work out the same. Drop offs occur at school. Holiday's and summer time will be a question. But we are doing everything we can to bury the animosity and make the right decisions for the kids.