Final court appearance or son's first day of school?

Kinda torn here...

My XW and I finalize on the 5th, my middle son's first day of kindergarten is the 3rd. I live 4 hours away and it's going to be next to impossible to do both, because the 3rd is the Tuesday after Labor Day and the 5th is (obviously) on Thursday. I don't have the time to be out of state all week, but I can go back for one of the two things.

On one hand, I want to be there for my son's 1st day (although he's been going to preschool there and taking the same bus, so I doubt it's that monumental for him). On the other hand, I feel that ending our marriage deserves a little bit of reverence. I've alluded to my XW that I might not be in court, and that seems to bother her. I also feel like it will be closure and I don't want to regret bailing out on it.

So, I don't know what do. Thoughts?

Go see your kid.

Without a doubt. One is the future, one your past. In this case, the right choice is both symbolic and practical...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
Without a doubt. One is the future, one your past. In this case, the right choice is both symbolic and practical...

Mr. Lucky

My thoughts exactly!!! Onward and upward!!!

Oberfeldwebel

No reason you can't do both. You can see him off in the morning, take you a nap and be there to pick him up in the afternoon, which will be about 3 or so. You can go out for ice cream where he can tell you all about his day. You can hit the road by 5 and be home before midnight. The next day you may be a little tired, but you will be ready to go by Thursday morning. Look for ways to make things happen in life, not how it won't work.