Is it best to cut contact with an ex if they hope to get back together?

My ex and I broke up because he decided to study abroad for 6 months without really telling me, because of distance, etc. Anyways, I've been ok with the break up and realize that he wasn't really for me after all of this, but he's been texting me a lot recently while he's abroad. He keeps telling me about how he's changing and improving, how he can't see himself traveling after he comes back, how he misses me and still thinks about me everyday, etc.

We've always had a good friendship besides anything else which is why I always responded back to him, but now I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to lead him on by texting him back and I never really respond back when he says he still thinks about me, I've told him that as a person I've changed over the past few months as well..I just don't want him to have high hopes that we'll get back together when he comes back home. Also, with him in regular contact with me it keeps bringing up the relationship again and opening up old wounds for me that I would rather not think about and rehash.

Is it better if I stop responding to him so he kind of gets the point or just straight up tell him that things have changed now? Or any other advice would be much appreciated

lolablue17

Why not just telling him what you wrote here? Before you give up your friendship give it a chance by telling him straight that there is no hope for you two, and you like the friendship but as long as you don't have to deal with the past all the time. (No ultimatums though)

If, after that he continue to raise the past and doesn't change, than you can consider fading it out.

• Like 1
SolidGoldTurd
blah

I'm not too sure what you want, but I'm going to assume you want him back.

Who broke up with who?

You don't have to be harsh about it.

As I understand, you broke up after he decided to study abroad then travel. Otherwise your relationship was good. He left. You parted company. You are now OK with the break up but he's regretting it. Did I get that right?

If you want him back, talk to him.

If you don't want him back tell him that you don't want him back. You don't have to leave him in limbo wondering if you got his messages from the other side of the world. Treat him with the kindness & politeness you would want to receive if the situation was reversed.

• Author
You don't have to be harsh about it.

As I understand, you broke up after he decided to study abroad then travel. Otherwise your relationship was good. He left. You parted company. You are now OK with the break up but he's regretting it. Did I get that right?

If you want him back, talk to him.

If you don't want him back tell him that you don't want him back. You don't have to leave him in limbo wondering if you got his messages from the other side of the world. Treat him with the kindness & politeness you would want to receive if the situation was reversed.

Well yes and no. We hardly ever had sex so it seemed more of a friendship at time, which is also a part of why I broke up with him.