Guess who emailed -.-

blackcat777

Hell has frozen over.

I can't believe it. I really can't believe it. I would be extremely grateful for advice and bone-cutting honest interpretations from everyone here.

This is the first contact after three months. I am skeptical. I'm not acting on anything... but my hands are definitely shaking and I might have yelled, "YOU DUMB BASTARD!!" about eight times. Then I logged on here. ;)

I got an email from the ex. This is the first contact EITHER of us have made since breakup ground zero over three months ago.

I thought we were so in love. It was maybe too much too fast. I was so good to him. He talked about the future constantly, told me I was the one, pursued really hard. I cried all my internal organs out for two months. The break came out of nowhere.

The only logical thing to conclude (after my heart pains calmed) was that he said a bunch of BS for a place to stay, and/or had some kind of serious mental problems or something.

--HE IS DEFINITELY A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR--

I watched him lie to everyone around him about all sorts of things, but I thought if I treated him with respect, he'd treat me the same way... not just lie to me, too.

What killed me the most was that this was the first relationship I didn't act like a class A idiot. I loved him so much, our time together was so amazing that it flipped some kind of switch in my brain and it made me realize that a person like this (or what I *thought* he was) is the kind of person that is too precious to lose, and I would purify myself at the gates of hell to keep him. So I binged on self-help DURING the relationship and did everything I could to be the absolute best person ever and not take anyone for granted.

Anyway... I pretty much found my closure on my own concluding that he was a liar liar pants on fire, and the loss of the relationship wasn't actually a loss because there's no loss in losing a jerkface.

To summarize, the first email says:

-I want to see you in person

-I'm sorry, I made the wrong choice, I regret it

-What we had was so special and I miss you

-Everything I told you was a lie, I lied to you

-I WANT TO FIX IT

-Tell me when I can call you

-personal playful quip about special things we used to do together

If I want to reply, I have to let him hang for a little bit. I should wait to see if he reaches out again. He can't call because his number is blocked.

In the words of Thom Yorke, "If you want me... come on and break the door down."

In one week is a day that is very special to both of us, one of the days he went out of his way to make some of the biggest romantic overtures to me before. I should wait until this day passes to see what he does. He'll be home.

I deserve a face to face. He dumped me over the phone.

He's so prideful. He's the one who always tells his friends no looking back after a relationship, never call someone. He's so stubborn. The email is shocking... but I can't let the shock let me compromise my dignity.

I think I need to wait to see what he does. What do you think? I haven't broken NC.

Guy's got issues. If we get back together, I won't drop my pants for anything less than many months of 1950s dating and a promise ring. This is a scenario that requires absolute Rules-ing. I've thought long and hard about what I would do IF he really did come crawling back. We'd have to start completely fresh, version 2.0.

I don't NEED a dance partner, or a yoga partner. But it was castle in the clouds magical to have one. If he realized that and wants to work on it... and then... ACTUALLY works on it for a prolonged period of time...

I can't believe this :mad:

• Like 2

You do realize that people who are pathological liars can even be lying when they say they know they have lied. You do realize people like him lie to get what they want and if that means lamenting all the wrong he's done (without actually believing or meaning it), he'll tell you what you want to hear to rope you back in.

There are no rules with people that are patterned this way. In the end, you will again lose. This version 2.0 doesn't exist when you're dealing with someone that is ingrained this way.

And I am not sure why you're so shocked he reached out. Most dumpers do this and most times for all the wrong reasons.

The best thing for you to do is stay NC and move on from this man. He isn't good for you, no matter how much you wait months and months and for that promise ring.

• Like 3

I'm really not one of the guys on here that will scream "NC NC NC NC Ignore the ****** delete his Email blablabal" ... AKA people fueled by their own anger about the demise of their relationships and toward their EX. That being said, I don't think you're in the right place for a reconciliation discussion. You seem to have resentment toward him. For a reconciliation to work, I believe you need to be indifferent. You're already stating all the conditions and you haven't even had a talk with him. And to be honest your conditions show how hurt you still are. You can't expect a promise of a marriage, and then state that you guy will need to resume from the start. That's not how it goes. If you resume from the start, then you don't even think about a wedding.

I think you should simply respond to him that you are still hurt by his behaviour. You may meet with him to listen to him, but I'd be wary to talk about any possible reconciliation before more healing on your part.

• Author

I am fully aware that he could/can be lying again, which is why copious action on his part that would otherwise be an inconvenience to him is the only thing that could possibly make me believe him. I don't know, though... This is a serious issue, broken trust. Purposefully shattered trust, even.

I say promise ring facetiously, but this was the first time in my life I was EVER hurt like this, and it really made me aware of the value of no sex without commitment. Not waiting until marriage, necessarily, but giving it up before a guy is invested... well. Yeah. Now I finally realize what oldschool is about.

^On that note, I absolutely would not have sex right away with another man, either. All that feminine energy dating philosophy is the only way forward for me.

The first night my ex and I kissed, we had sex. I feel like that's where I failed in laying the foundation. It was casual in the beginning, but I caught feelings in a CRAZY way and he took me for granted.

I'm not hurt the way I was a few months ago. I finally found peace with the fact he was never coming back. I gave it my best, I stopped blaming myself. My new routine with more hobbies went from being mechanical attempts to distract myself from the breakup, to me having a lot of fun with stuff I love to do again.

But, when dealing with someone who lied... you know... how DO you regain that trust? There's just no other way, besides serious, serious action on his part. It's not like we're going to have one amazing talk, spend the day in bed, and act like BFF again. It's not wise, not realistic, likely not even possible. I'm not being emotional when I say this, but I literally just don't know where there is to even go from here.

Anyway, I'm not on the hook, and it's going to take more than one email for me to give him the time of the day. This was WAY more than I ever expected from him... but it's not enough for me to put myself out there.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand you. We all think we are fine, until the ex shows up again with the possibility of a reconciliation. Then the feels resurface and leave us confused.

You need to take some time to think about it all. You look like you still want a part of him in your life, the door seems still open, so maybe you should talk to him, hear him out. Let him do the talking, you be the judge. Keep a cool head, see if he's really sorry, and don't forget that words are only words if they are not backed by actions.

• Like 1

Cat, please don't let it go to your head.

I have to admit that I am new to this, though I have been in a relationship for decades one way or another (My first wife died, my second wife is divorcing me.)

I don't know exactly what advice to give, but I do know this: Don't play into his hands! Screw him for now. Play hard to get, and by all means, say things that make you sound fully "OK" alone.

Do make contact soon, since he did. Just don't overplay the part.

Mostly, don't put yourself in a position where you are at a disadvantage. If you are in a position where you you are back together because you are "desperate" and he's not, you are in a bad position. You need to have "hand".

This is your chance to psychologically screw with him. Relish in it because he obviously realized after so long that he made a huge mistake! Don't overdo that either, but do enjoy it while it lasts (a week or two.) Others here may give that timeframe a more realistic number. That's just a guess on my part.

Ken

• Like 1

People like that don't change. Ever.

Let him be another girls problem...Don't take him back.

You may love him and still feel strongly for him but that doesn't mean he's the right one for you.

• Like 3

I understand that everyone lies. "No, your butt doesn't look fat in those jeans" or other "white" lies.

The real problem is when people are pathological liars. They do it for a reason and they really can't help themselves. It is so ingrained in their nature. They lie so much that after awhile they don't realize how much they do it. It just isn't in their nature to be open and honest for whatever reason.

I don't think pathological liars every really change. They may be more conscience of it at times and may alter their behavior for a awhile, but eventually their true nature comes out again.

• Like 3

:eek:!!! This thread terrifies me lol I'm now in a place where I'm grateful my ex hasn't contacted me. Like you, I'd be beyond shocked and angry.

I suggest you go back and read the threads you started in chronological order.

I think remembering what you experienced, the realizations and epiphanies you had about him and the relationship..leading up to this moment, should help keep things in perspective.

I won't deny it, in my case (I'm darn near close to over him, but not quite there yet), ..yeah I'd be shocked and angry if he just popped up out of the blue after I'd finally just managed to escape the stratosphere from a world of hurt lol. Then that two-faced cow, hope, would start whispering a lot of confusing BS into my ear again. Then I'd probably put the rose colored glasses back on and reread the email a million times. That email would shake my foundations for sure haha. "omg what do I dooooo!?"

Proceed slowly and with caution. I'd think on it for a few days. Make notes about things you want to address or questions you have, as you they occur to you. Think long and hard about what YOU really want and go from there.

He threw your trust to the wind. It's on him now to chase after it, if he really does want it back.

• Like 2
:eek:!!! This thread terrifies me lol I'm now in a place where I'm grateful my ex hasn't contacted me. Like you, I'd be beyond shocked and angry.

I suggest you go back and read the threads you started in chronological order.

I think remembering what you experienced, the realizations and epiphanies you had about him and the relationship..leading up to this moment, should help keep things in perspective.

I won't deny it, in my case (I'm darn near close to over him, but not quite there yet), ..yeah I'd be shocked and angry if he just popped up out of the blue after I'd finally just managed to escape the stratosphere from a world of hurt lol. Then that two-faced cow, hope, would start whispering a lot of confusing BS into my ear again. Then I'd probably put the rose colored glasses back on and reread the email a million times. That email would shake my foundations for sure haha. "omg what do I dooooo!?"

Proceed slowly and with caution. I'd think on it for a few days. Make notes about things you want to address or questions you have, as you they occur to you. Think long and hard about what YOU really want and go from there.

He threw your trust to the wind. It's on him now to chase after it, if he really does want it back.

Please heed this advice. It is spot on. There is no need to respond right away. Try to think things through a bit and clear your head from the euphoria of receiving an email from him.

• Like 1

i dont know your ex or his mindset. but let me be the first to tell u i did break up with someone and regret it to the core of my very heart and soul.

know this one thing, because i cant stay here too long and type this and give it all the attention i want to right now (thats how sick i feel from this heartache im suffering from, it's so overwhelming) but dumpers who DO REALIZE they did make a mistake, and probably realized it from day 1 of making the mistake....are afraid to come on full force. to break the ever loving door down. we now tip toe for fear of losing you more or you hating us more. or you thinking we are needy. it's such a catch 22. i do believe he does want you back. u may want to wait for another attempt on his part. i dont know. but i promise you to the high heavens, some dumpers are legit and really want to start over and fix things and wish to God they never made the moves they made. so u might want to consider....at one point in life....responding. yep i said it. maybe not right away....but sooner or later. i pray hes sincere. i know what i feel.

• Like 3

Here is what I did when my ex came back. She showed up unexpectily at my front door one night. I was in shock. She drove 3.5 hours and just showed up. So believe me, I hear you when you say "hell froze over". Those were my thoughts as well.

She showed up, we talked. I got a lot out. I texted her 3 days later after I had some time to cool off and mentioned how I know it took a lot of self reflection to do what she did and that I would contact her after her family's trip (a month from that date). We met up for a first date a month later. Got back together, broke up again.

What I'm getting across is the time. I took a month to sit on it to figure out if I could forgive, and move on and start fresh. I did. Sure, it didn't work out the second time... but at least I gave it a shot.

Take your time. You have the upper hand now. Don't rush anything. Please be sure you can live with and accept what had happened before. You need to forgive in order for things to have a fair shot. He also, has to forgive himself. I know the first 3-4 months my ex had trouble forgiving herself for hurting me. She mentioned how she would overthink what she said because she didn't want me to take it the wrong way to get hurt again.

Take your time. Don't respond. Maybe respond in a week, and then, if you want to, tell him I will contact you when I'm ready. Then, forget about the whole encounter and see where you stand.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you, everyone, for all the replies. It's given me so much to think about, and, yes, definitely, I am going to sit on this and think long and hard about it.

He sent another email from a different address again today. He said he tried to call, but realized his number was blocked and I had every right to block him. It was a little more frantic, but still just an "I miss you," and not a point-blank "I want you back."

I'm hoping more silence will smoke out something a little more substantial.

In one week is a special date for us, so if he doesn't hear from me on that day, the silence will speak volumes.

I'm going to keep sitting and keep thinking, in the meantime.

One thing I did realize, from what everyone said here, is I need to be crystal clear with myself about what I want... and if I do email him to arrange a meeting, I'm telling him he has to be crystal clear about what HE wants. If we both want different things, I have to be prepared to turn and walk. I cannot and will not compromise myself, for my own good.

It's like choosing not to eat junk food. It may be delicious, but it isn't good for me. Same with relationships. This heartbreak taught me that I absolutely cannot get involved with situations that aren't good for me... and how to use my own healthy boundaries to keep a situation healthy, which includes turning and walking if the other person won't meet me there.

• Like 3

You need to pay attention to him being a pathological liar. He didn't tell you a few white lies. People that lie about everything and anything are ingrained, mentally patterned that way, dysfunctional in their thinking.

This isn't about giving him some time, space and "playing hard to get" and he'll be the good boyfriend and his issues will go away. Just as you said, you thought if you treated him with respect, he would treat you the right way. It didn't change him.

If change has a chance at happening, he has to realize that he is a pathological liar. He has to want to seek help in understanding why he needs to lie, he needs to learn how to find ways to curb that behavior. You're looking on the surface when what he does "pathologically" is going to be destructive to you.

Ducktape said people that preach NC, NC, NC are just bitter from their failed relationships. It's a sweeping generalization because not every situation is the same, and this is one where NC will be your in your best interest because people that are pathological do not really change. And imagine always wondering if he is telling the truth because when someone is ingrained this way, you will never and can never fully trust. Do you want to always be wondering?

You're on a high from the email that he sent you. You're driven by emotions. Really, sit back and think about this. Go back and read your threads -- remind yourself more so of the reality of what you had with him.

Edited by Zahara
Ducktape said people that preach NC, NC, NC are just bitter from their failed relationships. It's a sweeping generalization because not every situation is the same, and this is one where NC will be your in your best interest because people that are pathological do not really change. And imagine always wondering if he is telling the truth because when someone is ingrained this way, you will never and can never fully trust. Do you want to always be wondering?

I wasn't saying all people advocating NC are bitter and full of anger. Some are. My point was exactly the same as yours. All situations are different, it's just that some people will tell you to NC no matter what with an ex. :)

evanescentworld

"Lie to me once, more fool you.

Lie to me twice, more fool me."

Liars will believe their own lies, because they want to convince you, entrap you and draw you back in.

If he can do it now - pay attention here, - and you guys break up again - he will keep pestering you periodically, because this will convince him you still burn a flame for him.

I personally can forgive the affair, the fling, the flirt; I can understand a person's eyes straying and being tempted elsewhere.

Every human is human, and every human has desires and can be attracted in different directions.

If you can't stay faithful, don't get - or stay - married.

But if you're tempted by someone else, I understand it. Just tell me. I can take it, you know, because you know what? It takes a human to understand a human.

But Lie to me? LIE TO ME??

Get out, stay out and never take me for the idiot you obviously still believe I am.

If you lie to me, you're calling me stupid, because you actually believe I'll be dense and thick enough to not only believe you, but carry on and keep you, once I find out!

So I'm not you, and your ex isn't my ex, but I'd like to chime in with this just for consideration:

I eventually lost track of how many times my ex (the 3+ year relationship) would sucker me back in with some "I'm sorry / I ****ed up" shenanigans while we were constantly off/on for those 3+ years. Sometimes I was the dumper, sometimes he was. Sometimes it was mutual.

He was an extremely proud liar and highly manipulative, probably the closest thing I've ever seen to full-blown NPD, and I was basically neurotic and needy and equally as addicted to drama as he was (of course I never saw myself that way during the whole experience, just in retrospect years later.)

So we'd break up, and I'd be getting to that 'just starting to think straight' point (weeks or a couple months post break up) and then he'd come around, I'd get super wound up internally and fall right back into La La Land.

He lied about lies, he lied about everything. His stories changed so often that I realized later that I stopped caring about the truth because I knew I'd never figure it out anyway. But every time I felt soooo pissed and humiliated to fall for it over and over and over.

And like you I also made all of these pointless 'deals' with myself. Like, "If he does X, Y and Z differently, then that will prove he has changed." Or some such nonsense. I might as well have been rolling dice and, "If the number is odd, then that means he's genuinely sorry about screaming at me for not giving him more weed money."

So when people give you advice like no don't do it, don't break NC, don't believe someone who has a history of lying, it's usually because we've been there and not because we are jaded and projecting.

If you yourself know that he is a pathological liar, that is ALL you need to know.

I once dated a girl who was a pathological liar. She lied about anything and everything. Even just really dumb insignificant stuff. I think she even really believed the trash that came out of her mouth. She just had a really hard time being open and honest. It was like pulling teeth out of her to get the truth. She was also very passive-aggressive. Don't know if those two things go hand-in-hand.

It got to a point where when she was just talking and lying about shyt that I was consciously saying in my head, "yeah right" and/or " I'll believe it when I see it."

I stayed with her so long, 4 years, because I loved her. It wasn't until sometime later after we broke up that I realized how dysfunctional and toxic the relatioship was. It took me being away from the situation to see it was it really was.

I had learned so much from that relationship. Mainly what I won't put up with, what I don't want, and lots of "red flags" to be wary about.

• Like 1
I once dated a girl who was a pathological liar. She lied about anything and everything. Even just really dumb insignificant stuff. I think she even really believed the trash that came out of her mouth. She just had a really hard time being open and honest. It was like pulling teeth out of her to get the truth. She was also very passive-aggressive. Don't know if those two things go hand-in-hand.

It got to a point where when she was just talking and lying about shyt that I was consciously saying in my head, "yeah right" and/or " I'll believe it when I see it."

I stayed with her so long, 4 years, because I loved her. It wasn't until sometime later after we broke up that I realized how dysfunctional and toxic the relatioship was. It took me being away from the situation to see it was it really was.

I had learned so much from that relationship. Mainly what I won't put up with, what I don't want, and lots of "red flags" to be wary about.

I'm like you except my recent wasn't anything close to 4 years, but I still feel in love with her. Yes, when you take time away it is amazing what you find out. Things you can't see while you are in the relationship, because it is true that "love is blind" , but once you take off those rose colored glasses you see the relationship for what is was, a mostly one way street with caution signs everywhere. Now you sound like me and we are now aware of those signs and what we wont stand for. We will no longer sacrifice things that are important to us in order to keep someone in our life. It just isn't worth it.

• Like 1

About the pathological lying girl I mentioned, I kicked her to the curb the second time she cheated on me. :D:sick::mad::lmao:

Some people really should come with warning labels.

• Like 1

There's a lot of good advice here cat, but one thing I don't totally agree with is NC.

It really depends upon what you want. Ask yourself if you want to try again. From an outside position, I'd say you do, otherwise why would you be posting here? You would just blow him off.

If you do want to try again, you need to open the communication channel a little. Don't commit, just open the communication. If you don't, especially if that "special day" comes and goes, he may stop trying, and then it will either be goodbye or worse, YOU calling HIM! Then where is your upper hand?

It's your choice, but it never hurts to talk a little. The time for NC is past.

• Like 2
SoThatHappened

Either the time for NC has passed, or you need to make a decision regarding if you should let him go.

That's what's hard: Do you open yourself up or move on. I'm sure you're battling this right now since it's a tough decision.

At least you're in the driver's seat for once. I wish you the best.

Most on here would kill for a reconciliation message like you got. Some have managed to see things for what they truly are and wouldn't respond no matter what.

Only you can figure it out, and it's hard to figure out when you're still hurting and the feelings are still there. If you had a clear head and weren't hurting, what would you do?

you sound like a smart girl OP. give this man a chance. hes NOT going to say i want you back ..i want you back. he doesnt even know if your with someone...married...hate him....nothing.

i have a gut feeling on this one. i believe he does want you back. you can take it in baby steps. lay out your cards ..what you both want like u said. but i would definitely give him a shot.

but u guys have to really forgive each other. really let go and let God. you can be prudent, but keep an open mind and heart.

Hey sorry you are going through this. I read a bunch of your previous posts and from what I am getting out of this is he is at least a little sociopathic. From what you describe how he deals with his mother and what he says to get what he wants or needs kinda tells a little about him. Then you talked of how he used you for a nice place to stay. At that point I was already kinda thinking that is what his issue is. But then I read the post where you talked about your sex life with him a little and that was all I needed to hear.

A 19 or 20 year old guy who is already at that BDSM point kinda worries me. I was pretty experienced sexually at that age and never thought of anything like that sexually. At that age a guys testosterone is firing on all cylinders and sex is amazing anyway. I guess what I am getting at is that getting rough is something that progresses with age because obviously as you get older you have kinda seen it all and it takes a little more "to do it" for you.

If he is that good at manipulating this early in his life and has that kind of kinkyness sexually then he has some kind of short circuit in his brain. You mentioned him mimicking your actions and being a chameleon. I really think something might be wrong with him.

A question I have for you tho.. You mentioned him smoking cigars and drinking and even maybe doing coke. Did you ever try to stop him or lecture him about any of that? Were you ok with him partying? I guess I am trying to figure out why he was hiding it. If he "just didn't wanna hear your mouth" or was he just all about portraying himself as squeaky clean?

I am not going to say anything negative about the age gap but I will say as a 40 year old guy that I am not anywhere near the same person I was at 20. Like not even close. If I were to meet my 20 year old self I wouldn't even recognize him as me.

You seem very intelligent and probably very fit and I think your best trait is that you seem to really be in touch with who you are and your emotions. You could probably make a 25 to 35 year old guy extremely happy. A large population of women and men too are nuts and emotional wrecks with crazy amounts of baggage. You seem to really have taken time to heal between relationships and seem to be doing everything right. Do not sell yourself short on a guy like this. You are a gem so make sure you get a prince.

Oh and one other question... Does he have some kind of break coming up from school? Because it seems to me like he is looking to have that nice place to come stay again while he is home. Do not fall for his crap!

• Like 1

hi. after reading leo's take on things, i decided to read the back story on this guy, myself.

ok..i know hes amazing and sexy to you. or has that "magnetism" about him. trust me, i know b/c i was dating one like this that i am now grieving over. who is also my junior in age....but way older than your guy. actually your guy sounded more mature than mine. which is really sad.

anyway, here's my take on this now. i still think he is sorry and does regret things and truly misses you. however, i dont think hes as crafty as you think.

i think he just wanted to be "free" while at school and is still young enough to be influenced by his friends. no mater how much he "loves" you.....at 20 years old....he wants to still be with his peers at school and not tied down. and he felt confident enough in YOU, that you loved HIM enough, that he can make his way to you again if he had to, but he wanted to be a guy in school who was free. he may have even actually wanted to focus on his studies.

theres no question in my mind that he really did fall for you...just not as hard as you thought. now i do NOT underestimate his age here. 20 year olds can fall in love hard and even kill themselves over love lost to them. but please dont underestimate the need to also be accepted by his peers and just want to be free during school.

i am sure everyone in his life..including his potentially jealous friends.....told him to focus on school and get out of this exclusive relationship... "youre young buddy"

and he listened...because hes also not too young to concede to peer pressure.

i dont think his problem is that "deep" and "calculating". i just think the wounds of being blindsighted and losing love that made u feel more alive, trusting, whole and hopeful, run deep. and understandably so.

im sure he is immature enough to actually think he did u justice by breaking it off b4 school and not leading you on. he may have even regreted it to the core.....15 mins after leaving you and didnt know quite who to undo it.

now i still see him as the villain here, but i dont think hes THAT crafty and manipulating. and honestly, you seem smart enough to know that you were loved and cared for on some measure. i think you would have sensed him REALLY using you. he could be an A$$ i have no way of really knowing. but my guess is, hes still a boy, trying to balance things from his vantage of disadvantage point.

i think he wanted to be free still........but really does care for you, perhaps even love you. but in the end...was too young to commit in his mind, when all was said and done. or he simply wasnt ready, whether he liked it or not. but he feared talking to you about it and took the easy way out for him and hard way for you. you sound like youre used to communication (as you should be) and things making sense. but his sensibility and probably a little selfishness...told him something else.

you think you are on the same playing field with this guy...but you are not. his age IS showing thru. i know kings ruled nations at this age and that there should be no excuse for his actions, it would seem. but 19 and 20....is still ....especially to them young..and with peer pressure in the mix.....too young to commit. i will say this...he didnt want to cheat on you. so he broke it off. he thought he was doing the better thing.

Edited by IfiKnewThen