Ex contacted me, what's the next step?

kellyann02

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading this post.

My ex and I dated for about 9 months. He broke up with me about a month ago. After the break up, I decided to do no contact. Well, sort of. We work together in the same building, so it's difficult. Last week, I saw him at work. We smiled, said hello and shared a joke. Later that day, I was getting ready for my first date since the break up. As I'm getting ready, the ex calls. He said he's calling to clear the air because when he sees me at work, I look mad. Then he said he wants me to know that he still cares about me and how I'm doing. We exchange small talk for several minutes and then the conversation comes to a close. He calls back less than a minute later, saying that he has my belated birthday gift and really wants to give it to me. I say ok, and we agree to meet up later that week. On the day we are supposed to meet, I hear nothing from him. So I text him about it later that night. His excuse is that when he got out of work, he didn't see my car so he just assumed I had left for the day. He says he will just give me the gift next week. I say ok, and this time we set a specific day/time.

Why did he tell me he wanted to give me a gift and then not even contact me that day to give it to me? Should I even trust him to give me the gift the next time we are working together? What's he trying to do? Should I just reject the gift at this point?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading this post.

My ex and I dated for about 9 months. He broke up with me about a month ago. After the break up, I decided to do no contact. Well, sort of. We work together in the same building, so it's difficult. Last week, I saw him at work. We smiled, said hello and shared a joke. Later that day, I was getting ready for my first date since the break up. As I'm getting ready, the ex calls. He said he's calling to clear the air because when he sees me at work, I look mad. Then he said he wants me to know that he still cares about me and how I'm doing. We exchange small talk for several minutes and then the conversation comes to a close. He calls back less than a minute later, saying that he has my belated birthday gift and really wants to give it to me. I say ok, and we agree to meet up later that week. On the day we are supposed to meet, I hear nothing from him. So I text him about it later that night. His excuse is that when he got out of work, he didn't see my car so he just assumed I had left for the day. He says he will just give me the gift next week. I say ok, and this time we set a specific day/time.

Why did he tell me he wanted to give me a gift and then not even contact me that day to give it to me? Should I even trust him to give me the gift the next time we are working together? What's he trying to do? Should I just reject the gift at this point?

I think what's happened here is that you work together, so it's impossible not to see the person. He might never have contacted you if you didn't work together, but he feels awkward about having to see you. I'm thinking he's trying to be nice to you and wants to hard feelings since you work together.