Ex using her best friend as go-between for contact

My ex-girlfriend and I broke up 14 months ago and have not seen each other since, as she moved onto someone else after dating me for almost 2 years, tried to maintain contact, tried to 'friend zone' me and ultimately I just faded away, did my own thing and am in a very good place right now professionally.

Situation:

Her best friend called me late at night 4 days ago and left me a voicemail and my ex-girlfriend was on the call as well- Her friend first said that they both missed me and then my ex got on the line, said they were talking about ex boyfriends and basically asked me out(second time since the breakup) to meet for a drink. Told me to text her best friend to set things up.

I think my ex is still with someone else and is simply trying to find some level of closure with me, but can't be sure what the motives are. She is using her best friend as a go-between for communication now out of nowhere.

I replied about 4 days later to her best friend and avoided even bringing my ex up..just light texting --3 or 4 back and forth and then I just didn't take things any further. Was positive, didn't discuss anything in particular.

And so now I am not sure why they'd bother wanting to meet up with me in person nor if I should go. I feel like that day will ultimately come and I am in an excellent position--so much has happened for me lately, but I've also moved 1700 miles away and don't think either know that.

But.. I am available for a meeting because I'm actually in town this week, in October briefly, November and December for holidays.

Is this a lost cause? The fact that she isn't contacting me directly except for using her friend tells me that she wants some sort of a buffer set up so that she's not being directly contacted, but why would they bother wasting my time or theirs unless perhaps there is something else at work? I don't really think there's a game being played but who knows.. Any read on this or a similar situation?

Both of them used the same nicknames I had for them in the voicemail. It brings me back. Not sure psychologically if I should read anything into that behavior. I am not interested in meeting her friend, would only be possibly interested in meeting my ex. But I will not contact my ex directly via text or just call her up.

maybe they were drunk and totally f'ing with you just to get a reaction from you.

if they haven't mentioned it since the late night phone call, then i wouldn't put much faith in it.

and either way, if your ex wants to talk to YOU, then she will. obviously she knows how to get in touch with you.