Liars

ATrain

Wow, reading that just brought back memories from a couple bf's ago...

Yes, an old boyfriend said that to me but only as I was leaving him when he decided to confess. I guess his thinking was that by coming clean at that point I would stay? It only solidified my decision to leave.

It wasn't about him cheating, but it was an ethical/moral dilemma that while it had nothing to do with me directly, it resulted in me losing all respect for him on the spot.

In my situation the lie was so huge that I responded with, "at least you do know me--yes, it has definitely upset me--have a great life."

Obviously not quite that simple, but pretty darn close.

Yep - heard that every time he got caught and I asked why he lied. Boiled down to he was gonna do what he was gonna do - and if we had an agreement/promise if HE felt justified in lying, he did. If he'd have been a man with integrity he'd have said "I'm going to do X - and not lie to you about it - and if you can't be with me because of it - then so be it". When he finally DID say that - I said bye - he said "I don't think you understand where I'm coming from or what I'm saying" - so I parrotted it back to him - was exactly what he meant/said - and then I said "goodbye' again. Now tryin to get rid of him forever - he keeps trying to 'be friends' - hmm, he has no character traits I value in a person or friend - don't think so.

Oh yes I sure did here this! And it made me wanna puke. He said: "I hid/lied to you about it (EA) because I knew you'd be upset". Oh thank you for considering my feelings in such an appropriate manner :sick:

EndoftheRope
Has your S/O ever said to you " I lied because I knew it would make you upset" . If so how do you react to that?

AG

I think at first he actually had me feeling a mild-- VERY mild-- sense of responsibility, like, oh, yeah, I shouldn't lose my temper. But as someone else already said, that's the excuse for every lie and secret, and what it really means is, he's going to do what he's going to do and avoid the scene that he richly deserves, by lying to me about it. It's just yet another way of shifting the blame for his behavior onto me.

serial muse
Has your S/O ever said to you " I lied because I knew it would make you upset" . If so how do you react to that?

AG

Ugh. Classic.

Eventually, I divorced him.