LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Coping

How to be single ?

Coping Learning to deal with one's emotions and loss.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2017, 7:46 AM   #1
Established Member

How to be single ?

As research suggests many people are happier single & since i really think that i should be single for a little bit of time now since i stayed the first 7 years of my 20s dating and/or getting engaged, I really need to learn how to be single. And not only that, I want to enjoy being single, i want to drive back home thinking about how happy i am being single well u know until i meet the right one. I want to do all the things that i cant do when i am in a relationship.

Share here the best moments of being single & how can you make the best out of it.

Last edited by toomanyquestions123; 3rd November 2017 at 8:01 AM..
toomanyquestions123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Established Member

Good post I hope some people Chime in
Purepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 1:35 PM   #3
Established Member

To be honest about it I don't have a clue how to be single. 1st marriage 17 yrs. Got right into a relationship with my wife now for 20 yrs. My wife and I are I think glued together near 24/7. We enjoy life together so very much we don't want it any other way. In retrospect maybe I should have followed your notion of being single for a time.

Last edited by Rockdad; 3rd November 2017 at 1:37 PM..
Rockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 1:39 PM   #4
Established Member

Get involved in activities & groups that interest you.

Take up hobbies that you enjoy.

Treat yourself -- make good food in smaller quantities, have a glass of wine, read the great novels, take a bubble bath, in essence, spoil yourself.

Reconnect with old friends, especially if you let those relationships slip in favor of a romance. Make new friends who share your adult interests.

Pay more attention to your finances. Take classes on investing etc.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 3:03 AM   #5
Established Member

Single means you can go hang out with your friends and catch up on your hobbies. You have so much free-time. It's great! I have been doing it for many years.
kazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 6:22 AM   #6
Established Member

Single means working on your master thesis and not worrying about anything else !

Single means booking Italy tickets on Easter from now because why not !!!!

Single means havingg plenty of time to work out, learn how to cook, go out with friends and go crazy !!!

Single means improving yourself again !
toomanyquestions123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 1:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyquestions123 View Post
As research suggests many people are happier single & since i really think that i should be single for a little bit of time now since i stayed the first 7 years of my 20s dating and/or getting engaged, I really need to learn how to be single. And not only that, I want to enjoy being single, i want to drive back home thinking about how happy i am being single well u know until i meet the right one. I want to do all the things that i cant do when i am in a relationship.

Share here the best moments of being single & how can you make the best out of it.
Live you life and enjoy, don't force yourself to be single and don't force yourself to be in a relationship. Do what you like (productive not destructive) and if you happen to meet someone see where it goes.
I'veseenbetterlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 6:46 AM   #8
Established Member

For me, the best part about being single is traveling solo. Last year at this time I spent 3 weeks mountain biking in Nepal, never mind that I had never mountain biked before. That trip has become my touchstone because it was the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 6:23 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what research your referring to, but there's an abundance of research in the scientific corpus that states the direct opposite - that people who are married are happier, healthier, and live longer.

I think the people who (for the most part) enjoy being single are those who tend to feel smothered in a relationship, or as if a relationship threatens their sense of independence/self. They get lonely from time to time, but they tend to be more comfortable in casual hookup/dating arrangements than a monogamous LTR.

I'm the opposite. I've been mostly single for the last 7 years, and I ABSOLUTELY hate it. I don't like traveling alone, spending holidays alone, not having as many friends as I once did because everyone my age is getting married and having kids, and I don't like doing all the awesome things that I love in my life without someone there to share it with or create mischief with. I don't need someone to "complete" me, but I prefer to go about life with a partner in crime. Sure, a relationship brings its own set of problems, but I'm sorted out enough that I prefer the problems of being in a relationship over the problems of being single.
Logo likes this.

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 5th November 2017 at 6:25 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 6:32 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdad View Post
To be honest about it I don't have a clue how to be single. 1st marriage 17 yrs. Got right into a relationship with my wife now for 20 yrs. My wife and I are I think glued together near 24/7. We enjoy life together so very much we don't want it any other way. In retrospect maybe I should have followed your notion of being single for a time.
Why?
You are very happy and it has worked out well for you.
If you had been single for a long while, bitterness, frustration, anger or regret may have crept in and you would never have had the great relationship you have now.
I think some can criticise the 24/7 living together, but if it works for both, then who can really knock it?
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 10:13 PM   #11
Established Member

I don't need anybody to make me feel happy or complete. I love myself and can be alone. I don't have to come up with stupid dates anymore. Spend money. Go through the whole dating cycle. It's a viscous repetitive cycle tha we do when trying to meet people. No more broken heart. I can go where I please, do what I want, and talk to anyone I want.

IMO relationships anddating changed. World is different. For some of you dating is easy and just comes to you. It's natural. Others struggle.

I prefer to be single and I honesty don't want to deal with women. That's just me. How I feel and it's not the right answer or what you or others must do. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 8th November 2017, 5:00 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:

Some are happier being single while others hate being single. I think itís all about balance. A thirsty person craves water. A quenched person feels bloated.

For me, being single ó at this stageó means having already exhausting all my energy on things I always wanted to do alone, to the point that I wholeheartedly want to be with another person.
Logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 5:10 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaInTheBrine View Post
I'm not sure what research your referring to, but there's an abundance of research in the scientific corpus that states the direct opposite - that people who are married are happier, healthier, and live longer.

I think the people who (for the most part) enjoy being single are those who tend to feel smothered in a relationship, or as if a relationship threatens their sense of independence/self. They get lonely from time to time, but they tend to be more comfortable in casual hookup/dating arrangements than a monogamous LTR.
I tend to thrive when Iím in a relationship and feel happier, more positive, more optimistic, more productive, more energetic, more creative, etc... in short, it brings out the best in me.
Logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 5:48 PM   #14
Established Member

You want to know how to be single? Read the threads about everyone's crash and burn experiences with the opposite sex (or even the same sex if that's how you do) then do exactly what they do.

You'll be single again and again and again....
lol
Old 9th November 2017, 3:56 PM   #15
Established Member

Being single is just living your life normally except you don't have to take another partner's opinions into account. Its more selfish (which isn't a bad thing in it self).

Nothing special really. If your into hook ups, you can do that too. If your not into hookups then you end up masturbating a lot if you have a high sex drive.

Its liberating but also can be lonely.

Just my two cents from someone perpetually single, bleh
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote