Guilt over our child during separation.

moonwalker86

So long story short me and my wife have separated technically, it's been over a week and I've gotten over the initial shock/denial/anger and now I'm pretty much feeling guilty about our 6 year old son and how he is going to be affected by our divorce. We haven't even told him yet because we have to live together until our lease is up and that's going to be months from now. But every time he says something about me and her, or draws a picture of us or anything it eats me up inside. Has anyone else gone through this? It feels horrible. I feel horrible that he doesn't know anything and won't know what is going to happen with us. I hate that he's so innocent and has to have to go through a separation. Me and his mom are on good terms but it still destroys me to picture how he will cry the day we tell him. Any help with coping with this? Thank you.

Green_Manalishi

I have been in your situation, and it's heart wrenching. All I can say is be loving, understanding, and patient towards him. Make sure he knows that his old man loves him and will never leave him. Most likely, he will have periods where he believes the split is because of something he did wrong. Be a positive force in his life.

If you have negative feelings about your wife, please never state them in front of him.

Good luck

kids are intuitive. Personally, i would rather be open and discuss the direction the family is heading than to surprise ambush him with the events to come. Talk about what is going to happen, the plan, the positive outcome.. and that in life, separations and new beginnings are natural. Help the child open up to what different dynamics look like and ease his fears.

• Author
I have been in your situation, and it's heart wrenching. All I can say is be loving, understanding, and patient towards him. Make sure he knows that his old man loves him and will never leave him. Most likely, he will have periods where he believes the split is because of something he did wrong. Be a positive force in his life.

If you have negative feelings about your wife, please never state them in front of him.

Good luck

I will definitely be there in any way I can and be supportive towards him in all aspects of his life. I will never speak bad about his mother to him or anyone related to him, we agreed we'd both not say anything negative about eachother to him. It wouldn't be right. Thank you, I can only hope for the best after all is said and done.

kids are intuitive. Personally, i would rather be open and discuss the direction the family is heading than to surprise ambush him with the events to come. Talk about what is going to happen, the plan, the positive outcome.. and that in life, separations and new beginnings are natural. Help the child open up to what different dynamics look like and ease his fears.

They sure are, he knows something is off, something is not right, and he is acting a little different because of it. I will do that, thank you.