Upsides to being single during the holidays?

Sunberry

I'm mostly spending time with family and limited friends for the holiday. For the past couple weeks I have discovered that a large majority of them are in relationships. I am not even kidding. I'm the only one in my family without a relationship (my cousins, etc.) They recently had a discussion about their boyfriend's and girlfriend's.

I was talking to my sister, who is in a relationahip, about it and she told me to get over it. Talked to another friend, who is also tied, and she just said, "so?". I just feel like they don't properly undertstand. It's been 2-3 years for me...I don't know. Are there any upsides to being single for the holidays?

I guess it's all about perspective. Is there any downside to being single during the holidays? If you feel you can strongly argue for or against either, then those issues are likely an important factor to you. I'm sure there are people that are content with being in either position.

In the end it's all about how we perceive specific situations and what we expect of them. Our views are mostly based on memories and personal experiences as well as what is portrayed in the media. That's all good and well, but deep down you probably know what the upsides or downsides are to being single.

• Like 1

Fewer presents to buy.

No tug of war about where to spend the holidays.

You have the chance to meet somebody new / kiss a "stranger" on New Year's Eve or under the mistletoe

It can be tough to be single at the holidays which tend to focus on family & children. But just because you are single this year, doesn't automatically mean you will be single next year. Hang in there.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks guys. At the moment I'm just trying to make the most of it.

In the end it's all about how we perceive specific situations and what we expect of them. Our views are mostly based on memories and personal experiences as well as what is portrayed in the media. That's all good and well, but deep down you probably know what the upsides or downsides are to being single.

I agree whole heartedly.

Being single at this time of year means that you buy yourself something nice instead of buying for a partner.

You can spend as little or as much time as you want with your family, as said above no tug of war with who is going where and for how long etc...

Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like 1