Nothing is worse than Regressing...

Swimmer916

Hey all,

Thought I was making really good progress as of late. The last few months have been unbearable but I kept pushing through. I moved to a new city, made some friends from work and saw some old buddies. I was starting to feel like my old self.

Over the weekend I ran saw my ex's family at a event. It was amazing seem them. They were really great people. Her brothers are great guys and her mom and dad were a second set of parents for me. Seeing them made me think of her and I couldn't resist texting her just to say hi and see how things were (We never left on bad terms and the breakup wasn't bad). I wish I hadn't. I found out she had a new bf and I now I'm back at square one. We have a lot of mutual friends and they say they really like him. I'm sure he's a great guy but man do I miss the heck out of her.

The grief comes from a mixture of multiple factors. We had a lot of mutual friends. A lot of them live together in the same area and I had to move away for work. We dated in college and entering the real world has been a shock. I'm not in this perfect bubble anymore. Which is good for me, I can grow as a person more fully now.

In terms of coping, I've come to the realization that its over. She has a new BF and has really become a happier person. It's tough to think that she has someone new and I don't. It really has hurt my self confidence and self image. I know the coping takes a long time but I just want to feel happy again. I feel like a shell of my former self. I hope one day I can look back and cherish the memories. However, all I feel now is regret and pain.

How long have you been apart? I mean you had to assume at some point she was going to move on right? I would assume and hope that you will do the same at some point. You have to understand that when it comes to dating most women have it really easy. They can just run out and find another guy where as guys have to put in much more effort. Who knows if she is happier or not and that isn't really the issue here. Believe it or not this is actually going to help you move on. She was with other people before she was with you most likely and you were fine before you met her and you will be fine again. Why don't you try dating. Check out a dating site, maybe you will meet someone you like, who knows. All the best

I would like to add that I think about 90 percent of the time when someone breaks up with someone it is because they are interested in someone else. It should not be that shocking

• Author

It's a little tougher than that. We started dating college since we were 18 all the way til 22. We broke it off in November but stayed together all the way through graduation in May. We talked all summer. Skyped for hours and called each other. During this time she was meeting with this guy. Just kind of sudden and a shocker. But it will help me move on for sure