How can I get over something that never happened?

Not_Broken

I find myself with a heavy heart, and I don't know how to move the hell on.

I'm in love with my (former) best friend. For 2 years, we spent nearly every day together. He was such an unbelievably kind and generous person; to this day, I've never met someone so compassionate and willing to help anyone in need. He was just a good person.

We met at an internship, and gradually I started to develop a crush. However, his girlfriend was always a part of the picture. Her and I were not close, but I could never bring myself to be "that person" and get in the way of their romance. They dated for a long time, and all the while my feelings for him grew.

I never told him how I feel. I never made a move. Occasionally, he would become (what I consider to be) flirtatious, but I never could tell what he meant or if his words were serious. Eventually, he graduated (a year before me) and went off to college, breaking up with his high school girlfriend shortly after.

We remained friends, and before long he had acquired another girlfriend.

And now...a lot of things got in the way of our friendship, and we are no longer close. But I can't stop thinking about him, our adventures, the late nights, and the "what if"s.

He seems so happy with his new girlfriend and his new life, and it's like I was never a part of his life at all. I'm angered by how upset I am over this. I can't shake this gaping hole in my life where he used to be. I still miss him terribly.

I hope one day I can move on with my life.

He seems to have had no problem moving on with his.

If you made it all the way through this, I just want to thank you for listening. I just don't know how to get past this; I can't let him go.

I'm grieving over a romance that never even happened.

• Like 1
whichwayisup

He has no problem moving on with his life because he wasn't emotionally attached to you or romantically interested. He saw you as a friend only, a buddy. Unfortunately you allowed yourself to fall deeper and deeper, letting feelings grow.

That is all inside of you and one sided which is why it's harder for you to get over him.

Google baggage reclaim and read the articles on there, it'll help.