Reading Love letters and Notes

JustSomeGuyHere

JustSomeGuyHere

What are people's opinions on reading love letters and notes that you still have?

My ex dumped me about 6 weeks ago. Pretty much strict NC since the first night of breakup. We haven't really talked since then. I've removed all reminders etc. but I still think of her a lot.

I have a lot of saved love notes. I put them away, but am tempted to read them lately. I kind of think it may help me heal and move on...but also could see it having the opposite effect.

Thoughts on this?

Always Pondering

In my opinion, they don't really serve any purpose at all when you're trying to heal.

As for myself personally, I've thrown away/burned all love letters I've received. They would just have set me back in my belief and if I have forgotten any, I may end up finding them and reading them years down the road but probably not. They don't do you any justice with a fresh break-up.

Gifts with practical use are a different story. For example, I've kept some kitchenware/electronics that I've received because they're rather useful, expensive and no longer remind me of any negative memories.

If you think they will help you heal, read them. I suspect they are going to make you mad or sad.

• Like 1
redbaron005

I wouldn't read them or burn them, just keep them put away. When you come across them in 20-years, you'll be glad you kept them.

Personally, I'd destroy them. I took mine and threw them out, but then later I realized why people actually burn things; I didn't like the idea that the notes and cards were still alive somewhere, in a garbage dump. Actually burning them, which I haven't done in, would probably feel better. It's a purging ritual, sure, but it also feels like you're getting back at the person in some small way. To each their own. But I definitely wouldn't read them or even keep them. So filled with broken dreams and affections that are now being laid on some other guy...sounds horrible.

Save them, absolutely, as an evidence. If she spreads the gossip that you are a stranger and were harrassing her - there you will have it, the love was mutual, 2 way street.

Put them away until your next break up (hopefully you won't have one), and read them when you feel low, to remind yourself that you are lovable.