Life still seems pointless

riokid180

Am I going to be having these feelings for months? Years?

I hate life

I mutter to myself repeatedly that life sucks

Life seems pointless

Work seems pointless

All my therapist wants to do is talk about my childhood

Exercising, working out and surfing only provide temporary relief.

Get a new therapist.

Or at least tell your therapist that you want to talk about something else. Of course everybody's parents contributed to why we are all dysfunctional now, but blaming them isn't going to fix it. Ask for concrete solutions that will help you improve your life.

• Author
Get a new therapist.

Or at least tell your therapist that you want to talk about something else. Of course everybody's parents contributed to why we are all dysfunctional now, but blaming them isn't going to fix it. Ask for concrete solutions that will help you improve your life.

She said to embrace my grief and treat it like someone died and that I keep looking for ways to get rid of the grief artificially that don't exist....and of course this must be the result of not fully experiencing grief for some traumatic event during my childhood.

If you go looking, culturally there are many ways to "work through" grief.

Some people write letters to their love ones, saying all the things they wish they'd said.

Some people go out into the woods and scream and rant. Beat the ground with sticks, getting in touch with that anger and letting it flow through them.

Some people cry, some people sing, some people gather with family to tell stories.

There are many, many ways to work though grief.. but none of them are fast or easy. Grief is not fast or easy.

You can only focus on today and doing what you can to gain some relief. In time, the pain will lessen. You have to make do till then

• Like 1
She said to embrace my grief and treat it like someone died and that I keep looking for ways to get rid of the grief artificially that don't exist....and of course this must be the result of not fully experiencing grief for some traumatic event during my childhood.

I've been grieving for about 3 years now. It's a continuum. Yes I kept trying to shorten the process & it didn't work but lately I feel like I can see light at the end of the tunnel. You don't have to embrace your grief but you do have to recognize it for what it is.

If you are genuinely that frustrated with your therapist, seriously get a new one. Sometimes change helps & a new perspective gives you more insight.

• Like 1