My Cleveland Browns Analogy

thembones

I found that an analogy has helped me with my loss and prepared me for my future.

In short, the Browns are an NFL team from Cleveland (where I'm from). Basically, Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore in 1996. Everyone was pissed and it sucked, but Cleveland kept the team name and colors (fought tooth and nail in court). At the same time, they were without a team for 3 seasons. Fast forward to 1999, and the Browns are back in town with their colors and history. They are NOT the same Browns that were here, but a completely new team. They are no better or worse than our old team. The most important thing is that they are new, but back.

I used to think of this as my ex coming back (ie- she'd come back, but it wouldn't be the same). I fought like the city of Cleveland did to keep her. I have come to realize that is not going to happen and it isn't even what I want. So this analogy has helped me in that I know I will find love again but it will take time. The new love will be no better or worse than the last, but different. All of the things I loved about the old Browns are gone and there are things I love/will love with the new Browns. Sure, the new and old Browns both probably have a lot of characteristics in common. But, the new Browns will be better in their own way, regardless of how much I cared for the old team.

I don't know, I just felt like sharing that. Anyone have anything similar?

Edited by thembones
  • Like 1

Not sure I can really follow the analogy exactly...but as a fellow Northeastern Ohioan I can certainly relate to your misery.

How about the fact that the team that USED to be the Browns are the Ravens now? Super Bowl champions, on their way back to the Super Bowl in a few days....and the "new" Browns can't even make the playoffs?

That was OUR team that went on and won without us....kinda like how my ex went and married someone else and never looked back. Maybe there is something to your analogy after all!

Or how the Indians were just a few pitches away from winning the damn WORLD SERIES in 1997 and Jose Mesa blew it....just blew it....and that was like me losing the girl I should have married.

And let's not even bring up LeBron, shall we?

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah it seems to make sense. I left out the part about the Ravens winning the super bowl, because that would mean my ex is better off,mor"winning". The point is, something will come along again and it will be better than the last, in it's own ways.