Letting go of friend with benefits

I have been hooking up with the same guy for a year and a half. This whole time he has made it clear that he did not want anything more than to be friends. I continued to hookup with him because I like him, as pathetic as it sounds I thought that he would eventually like me. We talk every day and hangout weekly, but it never progresses to anything else. We also work together. I have tried to stop talking to him and we have gone a few weeks to months without talking, but always end up getting back in touch and hooking up. To me the pain of being "with him" feels better then the pain of being without him.

It is a vicious cycle and has slowly chipped away at my self esteem. I feel like i am completely obsessed with him and am depressed all the time because he doesn’t want the same things as me. Last night I confronted him about the way I feel and he said that we need to cut ties and not talk anymore. He blocked my phone number and he blocked me on facebook. I am so upset and I feel like I look like a crazy person for bringing this up to him. We work together and I am going to have to see him. I am so depressed and don’t know how to feel happy and move on. Has anyone been in a similar situation to this? Any advice for me?

This is tricky because you work together. Like... really bad.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this. Is there anyway you can find another job and move on?

I know it isn't that easy...but maybe finding another job would make it easier to get him out of your head and heart to move on...?

This is why most women cannot be a FWB. Some women can handle it but the majority enter into a FWB relationship on a lie. They tell themselves and the guy that they only want casual but in the back of their mind they are thinking the sex is going to make him want a relationship with them. It never works. When the guy decides he wants a relationship it's rarely with a FWB.

• Like 1