Nationalistic boyfriend ?

love.sick.101

Hello

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 1 year now. We are both from different cultures and his family has been against us since the beginning as I am not from the same culture as them, although our religion is the same. My culture is an issue because years ago there was a war between our countries. We live in Canada and I have been raised to believe that we are all equal. However, his family thinks that we are basically scum because of the country my family originates from. In addition, my boyfriend is patriotic/nationalistic. Today we had a discussion about marriage and kids and he does not want me to teach our future kids anything about my culture such as my language. He wants me to be a lot more involved with his culture than mine and he does not want to be involved with my culture what so ever. I always assumed it would be equal or that it would not be an issue as we have the same religion and that religion trumps our cultures combined. I told him that it is better if we part ways and that he marries someone within his culture as he does not seem to accept me for who i am. It makes me feel as if him and his family see me as inferior and would probably see my family as inferior as well. I am extremely confused now and wondering if I really want to marry him now.

Its good to have found out this major incompatibility now rather than after being married.

Break up as there is nothing that can be talked over unless either one of you is ready to let go of personal choices for the rest of your lives.