Incapable of letting go

I dated a guy for 4 months. I was completely infatuated with him, but I felt that he didn't feel the same way about me. Later that week I was out for a friends birthday and he happened to be at the restaurant we were at, on a date. I was completely hurt and humiliated. We did not talk for about a month after that but then we ended up talking and he said he hoped that we could be friends. I agreed.

From that point on we continued to hangout weekly and hook up. I convinced myself that if I kept hanging out with him and hooking up with him that he would eventually realize that he wants to be with me. i would do anything to talk to him or get attention from him. I would make up lies and stories to have things to talk to him about. I completely spiraled out of control. I would do anything to have him in any capacity, even though I knew he was basically using me for a hookup and had no feelings for me. Recently he caught me in a lie. This turned into a big fight and we have decided it is unhealthy for us to talk to each other.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know how I allowed myself to act like this. I'm not a liar and I have never acted like this in the past. I'm 23, a nurse, have a great friends and family. I feel like I was emotionally unstable and just couldn't control myself. I am now depressed and embarrassed that I acted like this and that he now thinks I'm crazy. I feel as though when a guy doesn't like me I'm incapable of moving on. We also work together and I feel like I have ruined my repuatarion and embarrassed myself. My lying was almost compulsive. I would just lie to get his attention.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do/how to move on?

Edited by jhg45

Yeah, its really hard to control acting on those emotions sometimes. You are 23 so you've got a whole life of love and hurt ahead of you, believe me. If this guy is also in his early 20s then just chalk his behavior up to being the average 20-something guy. No matter what's put in front of him, he wants more.

As for moving on, as you've read and heard before, time heals all wounds. Problem is the new wounds. ; )

Anyway, people easily forgive and if you are embarrassed about third-parties knowing of your actions, be sure that they do not occupy the forefront of their minds. Everyone has their own crap and crazy and you are but a side-note. So try to let that go.

Maybe talk to a counselor etc. about putting your relationships into perspective and dealing with the emotions?

• Like 1
Marco Valerio
Yeah, its really hard to control acting on those emotions sometimes. You are 23 so you've got a whole life of love and hurt ahead of you, believe me. If this guy is also in his early 20s then just chalk his behavior up to being the average 20-something guy. No matter what's put in front of him, he wants more.

As for moving on, as you've read and heard before, time heals all wounds. Problem is the new wounds. ; )

Anyway, people easily forgive and if you are embarrassed about third-parties knowing of your actions, be sure that they do not occupy the forefront of their minds. Everyone has their own crap and crazy and you are but a side-note. So try to let that go.

Maybe talk to a counselor etc. about putting your relationships into perspective and dealing with the emotions?

I agree with the response above. Just wanted to clarify that, someone who's NOT a liar is a person who DOESN't tell lies.

You have lied quite a lot, so that makes you a liar.

The moment you stop lying, and you make it your common behavior, you will be able to say you are not a liar.