Blank email from ex

If an ex sends you a blank email 9 days after falling out and saying bye, what does this mean?

Maybe he clicked the wrong thing when wanting to email to someone else and hit send by accident.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. He sent the message over a week ago. I didnt reply. Heard nothing since. He hasnt sent another one.surely if he wanted attention he would have sent another one?

Thanks for the replies. He sent the message over a week ago. I didnt reply. Heard nothing since. He hasnt sent another one.surely if he wanted attention he would have sent another one?

No because you didn't take bait the first time, he would look like an idiot tossing it out again.

IMO, it was his way of reaching out....without admitting he was reaching out. He was hoping you would respond with "hey, just rec'd this but there was no message."

Then he could respond with "oops sorry, hit the wrong key," or something lame like that....followed by "how are you?"

So....he is now engaging you in convo without having to admit to wanting to engage you in convo..

Make sense? It does to me. Game playing 101.

But you didn't bite (good for you!)....he will now have to think of something else.

• Like 3

Forget about possible reasons for the blank email.

You need to take the attitude of "I don't care".

Testing and nothing more. Expect another test later on in some similar shape or form. They just want to know you're still around. Absolutely you did the right thing by not responding. You might get the same thing in the form of a call and hang up.

Edited by dumbass2

This made me think about how my ex sent an email 3 weeks after he dumped me and just congratulated me in really cheerful proffesional language about a work project I'd posted publicly on line. (We don't work together). We were engaged and felt we were absolute soul mates until he dumped me before we were going to move in together. I found the email really confusing, because it was so casual. Here I was feeling a huge amount of agonizing emotions, and he wrote this "fun" email. I was really mad. I didn't write back for a week but then on the advice of a colleauge I wrote back a short, polite email in the same tone. The only thing I ever heard from him after that was "like" on my facebook wall. Eventually I didn't feel emotional about that email anymore and just saw it as part of his process.

Sometimes I think dumpers do things like that because they are trying to work out complicated, messy feelings of guilt, missing, indiffrence, relief, loneliness, whatever. In the moment it is what feels logical to them in their complicated feelings, whereas for the dumpee it is very confusing. Makes sense since maybe the dumper is confused!

It sucks being dumped by someone who felt like they were your best friend, having to deal with the pain of missing them, and the rejection of being dumped, and then also deal with THEIR confusing emotions. I personallly think that the dumpee needs to protect themselves for the dumper's emotions. We want to care for them as we did during the relationship, but especially if the dump was brutal and unexpected and sometimes a bit traumatizing, we need all our care to go towards ourselves, and thinking about the dumper's motivations and feelings not only drains us, but makes us feel worse. Thats why NC is the best.

Edited by mossycup
  • Author

Thanks. You shouldnt have replied to him. My ex was my soulmate too. So odd how they have no feelings suddenly. He has now moved in with his new gf who he told me he really likes. Meanwhile in our conversatiom he was hot and cold with me, at times talkimg as if we were still a couple. Anyway he has not contacted me since the blank email. I will not forgive him for treating me like this.

thekarmacist

they aren't your soulmate if they jerk you around, treat you poorly, and break up with you. you deserve better.

• Author

I replied. I know I ahouldnt have but I was too annoyed not to. Im not waiting for a reply though. Dont want him.

I replied. I know I ahouldnt have but I was too annoyed not to. Im not waiting for a reply though. Dont want him.

you don't want him yet you devoured his pathetic little breadcrumb. if a blank email is even that. he owns you right now

Nicola i'm sorry to knock you down but how can you say that? Where is your self worth? You will NOT heal if you do not have some self worth.

Ofcourse you will think about your ex, it meant something to you, that's why the pain is so great!

You must see the situation for what it is, take your ex off the pedestal - this person CHOSE to kick you out of their life! This person said they would rather carry on without you! Why do you want this person in your life?

Most of us here think about our ex's... I'm only 2 months post BU and I still think about my ex alot, I miss what we had, I miss the good times, I rarely saw any bad times.... but so what? I'm worth more and so are you.

Chin up, you broke NC, don't do it again, you'll feel better when you stick to strict NC for some time, you'll realise that this relationship wasn't perfect and you will find somebody else who appreciates you.

• Like 2

I have an elderly aunt and uncle that still send Christmas Cards to me at my exes address. I moved out over 12 years ago... I keep asking them to change the address but dementia has set in.

The blank email means nothing. They probably hit send by accident or something daft.

Ignore it and delete it.

What did you write?

Did the blank email have a subject? or was that blank too? a lot of email clients won't let you send nothing, or at least, they'll balk before they let you.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah it was brutal. I wont make the mistake of contacted him again. Hes made me feel like ****. The message was blank including in the subject box

• Author

He just sent me a picture of himself wtf. After telling me how amazing his gf is etc and hes bought a house with her

pidgeon1010

You and this person were "soul mates"? You need to reevaluate that. He is taunting you now or trying to initiate contact to possibly have you on the side for fun. Who knows. Don't try to find out. Your response to the blank email has given him courage to drop more breadcrumbs because you devoured the last one which was literally NOTHING. He knows he has you on the hook and you are "famished" for his attention. Please don't respond to that. I won't be surprised if he sends something else if you don't respond but I would encourage you to be committed to NC and move on. He is showing you his true colors. Believe him! Who dumps someone and then sends them a picture of himself? Pathetic.

Edited by pidgeon1010