What do you do with pictures of your Ex?

After a rough break up I've been on NC for quite awhile. Today, I was flipping through my pics on my phone looking for something old, and came across many of my ex and us together. It was AMAZING how this made me feel incredibly terrible. Just an extreme feeling of loss and what we had. So the question--what does everyone do with pictures of their Ex? Do you delete them all? Do you just stash them somewhere so you won't come across them for awhile? I mean I could trash them immediately, but my thought was that someday when I'm over her, it may be nice to have the memories. Thoughts?

SankeCoffee

I put the pics I had on a flash drive and then deleted them from my phone. That way you have them if you ever want them in the future and you won't see them on your phone anymore.

• Like 3

Take it from an old guy. Some day, when you're over her and happy in your life with the person you've got, you'll want to know what she looks like now, not back then.

You can chuck 'em and you probably won't care later. Or give them to your parents, with instructions to only give them back in their will.

pillowpuffs

I deleted everything and tore and cut up physical pictures that I had with my ex. It was a step in letting go of the person I used to know.

I think it depends on what you went through - my break up was very bitter and brutal so I had to trash everything, any reminder.

i have many pictures of exes, many are regular photos and some are digital. i keep them all, including letters, etc…

i keep them as momentos of the women i have seduced and then dumped. makes me feel good in some bizarre way

• Like 1

This has always been a tough one for me. I'm usually a sentimental person. As I've gotten older, I question why I've kept so many memories, pictures, keep sakes, etc.. If I died, they'd all be pitched in the garbage as none of this stuff has any value to anyone else.

I'd certainly wipe your phone and computers free of any texts, emails and pictures. Maybe put them on a flash drive and put it in the attic. I have lots of memento's from past relationships. This includes photo's. I can't tell you the last time I've looked them or wanted to look at them. Some of these exes I'm friends w/on FB. I just don't feel the need to look back at periods of my life when I was with someone else. Will I throw them out? Nah.. They only take up a small amount of space in a box. Maybe when I'm really old, I'll look at them again.

angel.eyes

I delete emails, texts, and voicemails. I toss out or give away any gifts I got in the now dead relationship.

Photos are different. They document the story of my life. Along with all my other photos, pics with exes are organized by trips (I travel a lot) in folders on my laptop.

I don't delete them. But I also have sufficient willpower not to revisit them during a breakup. Do you?

• Like 1

put them away somewhere where you or your future partners wont ever find them. Someday you will be glad to have those memories

I still have a ton on my Instagram and Facebook - as does she. They used to make me terribly sad and crave her attention so badly. Now I look at them and smile, it's a reminder that what we had was great, even if what we have is garbage.

put them away somewhere where you or your future partners wont ever find them. Someday you will be glad to have those memories

one day i came home and my ex-wife had found my shoe box full of pictures of some women i dated. she tore many of them up and drew a mustache on the remaining pics. i was so pissed off, it was then that i knew she was emotionally unstable and immature.

The digital pictures I had of my ex, most of them I deleted but just after our breakup I doodled all over one of the pictures making him look really horrible, think I ended up deleting that picture as well unless it's on my old laptop that doesn't work any more.

SoThatHappened

I got rid of all texts, voicemails, gifts, and physical reminders. Down to an area rug she gave me.

As for the pics, I sent them to a "ghost" email account that I rarely use. They're there in case I ever want to look at them again.

May not be for everyone, and I may eventually delete the pictures, but not ready yet... (there were some "sexts" that I just can't delete right now) ;)

I'd archive them somewhere. If you want to see them later, you'll have them, and if you don't, who cares? But if you get rid of them and then want to see them later, you'll wish you hadn't.

• Like 1
dangerbang

Personally I thrash everything. As soon as I split with last girl everything was deleted from my phone and anywhere else there were pictures.

I don't take many photographs and I don't particularly want to see her face ever again. So my advice would be to get rid of it all, and move on. But each to their own.

Itspointless
one day i came home and my ex-wife had found my shoe box full of pictures of some women i dated. she tore many of them up and drew a mustache on the remaining pics. i was so pissed off, it was then that i knew she was emotionally unstable and immature.

Wow, that would seriously make me reconsider a relationship as well.

I agree with some here about removing them from your phone and storing them somewhere else.

I am also a sentimental person, who holds on to pretty much everything (or hoarder?). I held on to pictures of my exs from the pre-digital age. I am, and have been in a good relationship for a while now. Recently, I looked through the physical pictures and felt silly. Couldn't understand why I held on to them for so long and how I treasured them. I really felt silly. I threw them out and it felt good because, although this will sound cheesy, it felt like the act symbolized my growth, moving on (to literally something far better), and my commitment to my present life.

After a rough break up I've been on NC for quite awhile. Today, I was flipping through my pics on my phone looking for something old, and came across many of my ex and us together. It was AMAZING how this made me feel incredibly terrible. Just an extreme feeling of loss and what we had. So the question--what does everyone do with pictures of their Ex? Do you delete them all? Do you just stash them somewhere so you won't come across them for awhile? I mean I could trash them immediately, but my thought was that someday when I'm over her, it may be nice to have the memories. Thoughts?

I deleted all our pictures and threw away all gifts.

Pictures are for people who can't remember.

As long as it hinders your recovery you have

nothing to think about.

I trashed everything of my ex's. But I guess it depends on the kind of breakup it was. Ours was pretty ugly.

I cut up all photos of us together. Of the pictures that were really cute of me, I just cut him off the other side of the photo :lmao:.

Any small items I had got thrown out. I packed a bag up of all his crap that I had at my house (Jesus it was A LOT) and I threw all the cards he ever wrote to me in the bag, along with gifts he had gotten me. (Yeah, cheating on a girl will make her pretty nasty ;)).

I wanted nothing to do with my ex and I just had one massive purge. E-mails, Facebook messages, all photos there, statuses... I was THOROUGH. Nothing got past me.

Then on the other side, I still have cards, and a 10 page love letter from my first love when I was 17. He's getting married now and is expecting a baby, but I will always cherish that letter. It will always hold a very special place in my heart. We didn't end badly, we were just too young.

What you choose to do depends on the situation.

Arieswoman

Q. What do you do with pictures of your Ex?

A. Print them out and throw darts at them. When they're full of holes, burn them on a bonfire in the garden while doing a war dance around it.

It's good therapy.

And don't keep the originals! :)

• Like 1