I broke up with my partner of 7 years yesterday...

The pain is crazy and I keep regretting it, I was wondering if there is anyone out there going through what I am as could really do with talking with someone in a similar position so I know I'm not crazy.

Like everyone on here I was deeply in love with my partner so ending it for me felt like I was shearing off my own leg or turning of life support to someone i love.

If you're feeling a similar pain, please reach out...

ephemeralme
The pain is crazy and I keep regretting it, I was wondering if there is anyone out there going through what I am as could really do with talking with someone in a similar position so I know I'm not crazy.

Like everyone on here I was deeply in love with my partner so ending it for me felt like I was shearing off my own leg or turning of life support to someone i love.

5 weeks for me -- he left me

we were engaged and together almost 7 years.

YES... the pain is at time excruciating, it is a horrible grief.

sorry, you are in this place.

it has been an exceptionally hard few days for me...

filled with sadness and tearfulness that just doesn't come out in tears but a deep heart-ache.

all of this sucks...and I wish it would just go away.

but- it doesn't.

it just doesn't

• Like 1

Welcome to LS.

Sorry that you're hurting

We'd need more information to be able to offer much in the way of advice.

Take care of yourself in mind and body:

Get enough rest. If you can't sleep, just lie down.

Drink enough water, 2 litres for a male, 1.5 litres for a female.

Eat enough and eat healthily.

Do some moderate exercise.

Talk to one or more friends about how you are feeling.

Writing about how you feel can be helpful.

Post here as often as you like.

All the best,

Satu.

• Like 4
elaine567

Why are you ending it?

but- it doesn't.

it just doesn't

It does eventually become much easier to live with.

You just arrive at a peaceful point.

There may be a scar left behind, but the painful and bleeding wound heals.

• Like 1
dave_1966

How old are you, and why did you finish it?

ephemeralme
It does eventually become much easier to live with.

You just arrive at a peaceful point.

There may be a scar left behind, but the painful and bleeding wound heals.

sigh.....

being an extraordinarily patient person ( for others) but not myself..

it is as hard to "embrace" this pain and time

when it is the greatest of my desires to immerse myself in oblivion- numbness and run from it ...

sigh-- the peaceful point--- I shall wait

ah, the scars, I do know that will be.

the bleeding wounds; shall heal

if only we could be born with our experiences and then move on to undo them.

thank you Satu

you are a kind and compassionate soul :)

• Like 1
you must let it go

15 years for me 2 kids, house Iv been broken up all most 6 months i feel your pain, I just hope its true time heals all wounds.

• Like 1
  • Author
5 weeks for me -- he left me

we were engaged and together almost 7 years.

YES... the pain is at time excruciating, it is a horrible grief.

sorry, you are in this place.

it has been an exceptionally hard few days for me...

filled with sadness and tearfulness that just doesn't come out in tears but a deep heart-ache.

but- it doesn't.

it just doesn't

have you found anything helps you at all? Im struggling ive been trying to keep myself busy but when I stop thats when I relive it all over and over again

• Author

Thanks you for your kind words.

I broke up with my partner because of her son.

I played an active part in her sons life since he was a toddler which is the strange thing.

All my friends and family tried to warn me not to get too involved due the child however I honestly thought we would stay friends, thats all we were ever supposed be. We quickly fell deeply in love with each other and it took me 5 years to make the big step of moving in with her.

I know that I had to move in with her as we had to take the relationship to next level but I was massively apprehensive as had I not only never lived with anyone else before but I was moving in with a child.

This child was also not the easiest of kids not only did me have some mild form of autism he was hugely territorial of his mum and quickly started to take a dislike to me.

I tried to make it work with him and I started to put on a act that I was ok and that I could do this even though my partner knew me ten times better than I know myself and I pretty sure she picked up on the vibe I was struggling.

I started to resent her son and the time I was being expected to spend with him when my partner was working (school runs, dinner, bed time etc) and I knew it wasn't rite or healthy for me so I told her Saturday evening that I couldnt do it anymore a d that she deserves somonn better, she simple advised ok and left the room and I got in my car and drove off amd haven't been back since.

Later on that night she messaged me not understanding it all and I tried to put it black and white but ended up calling her and telling her it was pretty much over which was absolutely horrendous to do because all I wan to do is go back to her and accept my fate that I'll only ever be half happy.

Im lucky to have good family, friemds friends and work colleagues but I dont have her.

I feel like im losing my mind I cant stop thinking about her and when I close my eyes I see her face. I want her back but I know I dont want the situation back of being a step dad, im so messed up im cant take this all in.

I spoke to her tonight and she was trying to give me a solution which would help but I couldnt see it making a difference and in the end she just made me feel even lower than I thought was possible by explaining to me how much ive hurt her.

Now im really concerned as I know she has a family history of mental health and im concerned that she would do something like hurt herself which I know I would never forgive myself and id end up doing the same.

I absolutely screwed and messed up I wish there was something I could do