returning items

My most recent ex and I broke up about 3 months ago from our 6 month relationship, and out of the blue today he sends me a text message:

"Hey sorry to bug you, but if your done with jazmins (his sister) Dorian Grey book I was hoping to get it back, if you still plan on reading it then that's fine hold on to it"

I've had this book for months. Even before we became a couple and this is the first time he's mentioned it since.

It's been a real struggle getting over him, and I was doing just fine until now. It's a set back for me.

What do I do? What do I say?

Is this an excuse to see and talk to me? Or am I reading too much into it?

We are in our college's library frequently around the same times and he always happens to stare, or try to avoid me completely

• Author

It's kind of difficult when we go to the same school and run into each other at times.

He could walk up to me in person and ask for it.

I don't think it would be wise to toss it.

It's an excuse to get you to meet with him and you keeping it is an excuse to do the same. It's a cheap $3 book. Say you lost it or something.

My ex is in FL, I'm in SC, and have to go back home to NY next week. I had told her a month ago that I once back in NY, I would send the box with her clothes and shoes in it and that would be the last connection between us. She said "no I don't want you to do that". It's a fairly large box, has tons of clothes in it, over a dozen pairs of shoes, some pocket books and really nice coats...wtf am I going to hold on to it for? It would just be an excuse.

• Author
It's an excuse to get you to meet with him and you keeping it is an excuse to do the same. It's a cheap $3 book. Say you lost it or something.

My ex is in FL, I'm in SC, and have to go back home to NY next week. I had told her a month ago that I once back in NY, I would send the box with her clothes and shoes in it and that would be the last connection between us. She said "no I don't want you to do that". It's a fairly large box, has tons of clothes in it, over a dozen pairs of shoes, some pocket books and really nice coats...wtf am I going to hold on to it for? It would just be an excuse.

True. But the version of the book he lent to me is am expensive copy.

I don't know, my dad things he just wants to find an excuse to talk to me again.

ever since we broke up its been him trying to talk to me. My dad thinks he knows he messed up...and thinks it's random how he's suddenly asking for the book now.

my dad said for me to just tell him I'm not done reading the book yet.

I just don't understand why my ex would ask for the book, saying he's hoping to have it back, but then say oh, but if you aren't done with it, hold onto it. He just contradicted himself. Why send me the text at all in the first place?

• Author

Okay...I believe you..

I don't want to not return it though. Afterall it does belong to him...I don't know what to do.

It's difficult enough to see him on campus, but now that he knows he texted me about his book and I haven't replied, he could confront me in person...and I don't want that.

Just mail it back to him if you're that worried. Don't throw it away, it's not even his, it's his sister's, and she didn't do anything wrong.

Either give it to a good friend to deliver to him or leave on his doorstep for you, or put it in the mail. Postage will be cheap and save you the whole trouble. If he wants to see you again he'll contact again after the book is back and there won't be any ambiguity. Meanwhile you've done the right thing and given his sister her book back.

• Like 1
True. But the version of the book he lent to me is am expensive copy.

I don't know, my dad things he just wants to find an excuse to talk to me again.

ever since we broke up its been him trying to talk to me. My dad thinks he knows he messed up...and thinks it's random how he's suddenly asking for the book now.

my dad said for me to just tell him I'm not done reading the book yet.

I just don't understand why my ex would ask for the book, saying he's hoping to have it back, but then say oh, but if you aren't done with it, hold onto it. He just contradicted himself. Why send me the text at all in the first place?

First, if you tell him you're not done reading it yet, you just prolong the situation. You'll just have this same discussion again in a month or two. That's not a solution - just a postponement.

I agree with RiceaRoni - put it in an envelope and mail it. Done. No more wondering why, no more discussion. Consider it another loose end tied up, and don't spend a lot of time agonizing over it. This sends both a book and a message.