were taking a break or im being let down easy?

I am broken. But moreso confused.

My boyfriend just came over for dinner. I had bought us items to prepare a meal together, and pre-made him his favorite dessert. I also bought a meal wine, and a dessert wine.

We have been talking for about 8 months, but only dating for a month and a half... we've had a few miscommunications via text message, when trying to resolve conflict, but nothing that couldnt be discussed and worked out easily and well in person. He is in med school, though, and so it is sometimes difficult to see eachother that often.

He came over, and informed me that his next rotatation is 2 hours away, in a rural area. He will be gone for 7 weeks and is leaving in 2 days. I kindof already knew this. He broke up with me. He explained how he felt after our miscommunication yesterday, and he was very sincere during the conversation. He seemed to be very upset and he stated that at this point in our relationship, if we werent able to see eachother for 7 weeks, we would both be miserable, if there was a conflict that couldn't be resolved, and it would never work. This is because our conflict resolution via text isn't well evolved yet.

Still yet, I am broken. I put so much effort into this relationship and was very interested in him. We had been taking things slow, and hadn't had intercourse. He wishes to remain friends over these 7 weeks and communicate as friends. He claims that hes very interested in me, and his tone and body language was very sincere. He says "maybe we can give it another shot when I get back in 7 weeks."

In a way, I feel like its a very mature decision. A good decision. But, he doesn't want to remain exclusive. He said that remaining exclusive would mean, "we would still be communicating as partners". He said he isnt talking to anyone else. He also said he feels like he's holding me back, because I'm more young spirited than he is. Were both 25. However, he didn't suggest that we talk/date/see other people.

He said that he didn't want to come back, and us hate eachother, and have lots of tension, stress, and problems built up, from not being able to communicate face to face. But he mentioned that "you may decide that you don't want to try again by then." He said he "couldnt promise anything." He also said that "if we can make it through this 7 weeks as friends. We can make it together as a couple. If it werent for me leaving, we could fix our relationship. But its just a little rocky right now. Being long distance would break us." I am so confused. Hurt. It hasn't quite set in. I hope it doesn't. Im not sure what to think, or what to do at this point.

Although I feel he was sincere, and that he does care about me deeply, I also have some feeling that it was almost him letting me down easy. I don't want to get my hopes up that we will work out when he gets back, and be shattered. But I also don't want to let him go. We were progressing pretty well. We both agreed that the only issue was our text communication. Phone calls would be limited at his rotation, between work and class etc.

Am I being let down easy? Should I let go? Should I go no contact? Should I try and remain friends? I feel like remaining friends would be difficult, after being at an intimate level. But I'm also willing to do, in my power and on my behalf, whatever I can to give it the best shot possible, if we were to try again.

Edited by matteb89

You are being let down easy... wanna **** with is mind? Call him up very teary eyed, and explain to him that you've been seriously trying to think of what he meant, and you finally got it. That it came to you in a moment of clarity.

He's a pussy who can't put up with a 7 week separation.

That said, you've been dating for less time than that. Want more with him? Tell him he's right, that you haven't been dating long enough to warrant being in a LDR. Tell him you understand, and to give you a call when he returns, but not before then. Then, if you've had sex already, bang his lights out and say goodbye for now.

He will call, and it will be only 7 weeks.