Just said goodbye forever :(

My ex and I broke up on Sunday after having a 2000-mile LDR for the past 6 months. We were together for three before that and it was amazing. She was my first girlfriend and in those 3 months we practically lived with each other. I'm now 24 and she was the first girl I have ever kissed, I lost my virginity to her, she was my best friend.

She texted me tonight saying she hopes I'm doing okay. I've been doing alright since it has been three days of NC. I know everyone will say I should have not responded but I had too. And of course it made me feel worse but I am glad we had the conversation we just did.

It wasn't just a crumb like many people get from their exes. We talked for half an hour and both said things like I'll never forget you, I hope you find someone that you deserve, follow your dreams in life, etc. Then we essentially said goodbye forever, because we both know we can't talk for a long time.

I just feel like a mess right now. It will get better right? Life doesn't make sense to me a lot of the time. Great this happened on Valentine's day too so now I'll forever remember what day it was :(.

slant:

That conversation was closure. Grieve, heal and move on....24 is such a wonderful age for meeting new people and experiencing new things. Don't dwell on the sad aspect of it, think of the great things you did and how she enriched your life. Then remember all the things she taught you about being a good bf for the next sweet girl who comes into your life. You will date many girls before you will settle down because it will take many relationships to show you what you really want and need in a life partner. Also, have some fun along the way.

Celebrate that you had a great first gf...and then look for an even better second one. Life is to be lived, not observed out of grief or regret.

Best of luck,

AW

• Author

Thanks Abse. I know you are right about everything you said. I guess I can be happy that even up to the end, she was still the same, sweet girl that I fell in love with.

I sincerely hope I am never in a long-distance relationship again and feel for everyone that is. I had to say goodbye to her too many times and it wore us both down. Part of me is honestly relieved, because the long distance was slowly breaking the relationship over the past months. The damage is done and it's over now. The hard part will be reminding myself that everyday :(.

Gets better over time. Im sure you recognize that it is a blessing to have had such a great first relationship, but now its time to begin a new chapter. Who knows what the future has to hold.

And nice that she was the girl you fell in love with. I fell in love with a girl who pretended to be someone she wasnt. So feel good about that, cuz that was never guaranteed.

• Author

It is true and I feel very lucky to have experienced such a meaningful relationship with her. I just feel a deep sadness in my soul right now. I took her number out of my phone last night (even though if I wanted to it could take me about 10 seconds to get a hold of her any other way).

I'm not even sure what to do now. The worst part is I only know a few people in my new city of six months, and none of them are super close friends yet. I was never good at meeting people in college and now it's much harder being in a career where the vast majority of people are in a very different stage of life.

Where there's a will there's a way, right? I'm determined to come out of this happier and better off.

LDR is an uphill battle, so don't feel down. Learn about what you liked about this girl and what you didn't, what you want, and go out and find another one even better. Try going on meetup.com / pick up hobbies that are social. The single life got some pros, enjoy it.

Where there's a will there's a way, right? I'm determined to come out of this happier and better off.

Yes sir. Stay strong mentally and physically, and try to workout every day (I am a personal trainer and have been working out twice a day- maybe extreme but its the best part of my day).

If you can get through this, you can get through pretty much anything.