Ex came to check up on my daddy...sign of hope?

I woke up this morning by my little sister to quickly get dressed as my ex just pulled in the driveway. At first I thought she was just messing with me but once I heard his voice echoing up the stairs I rushed down to find him sitting on the bed next to my daddy.

My daddy has a very close bond with my ex as he was the son that he never had and after 12 years of bonding it's obvious that he is quite upset that the ex and I have parted ways. The reason for the visit was to check up on my daddy and see how he is doing since my daddy was diagnosed with prostate cancer end of 2008 and my ex has been footing some of the medical bills as we simply couldn't afford the chemotherapy.

At first I thought he was here to make amends and reconcile but we never even ventured into that discussion. He joined us for breakfast and then he sat with my daddy outside discussing financial things and life as they have always done. Looking at my ex now I realize what I have lost and what a massive impact he has made on my life, not only on me but on my family as well.

I have made some serious mistake pre- and post breakup which he is still not aware of and I am sure if he would find out that I have slept with someone else that it would be the final nail in the coffin and that he might write me off and vanish out of my life.

Was his visit a sign of hope or am I reading too much into this?