LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Breaks and Breaking Up

The Rubber Band Effect


Breaks and Breaking Up It happens to most everyone at some point in life! Share your experiences!

Old 28th March 2011, 3:09 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Beeotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 812
The Rubber Band Effect

Was researching something and this article came up, and I thought it would be insightful and helpful to those going through a breakup. It contains much of the advice I myself would give and resonate with...


http://thelovelogic.wordpress.com/20...r-band-effect/


Let’s begin…


Ever wondered why your ex is “acting that way” or why they are treating you differently now? Ever wondered why they get back in contact with you after months of no contact and they STILL keep you at arms distance? Ever wondered why they “give you signals” yet they can’t commit to you? If you can relate to these types of questions, sit back and relax. Everything is going to be fine. Turn on the ole’ brain and lets continue on shall we?


Years ago, there was a song on the radio my father loved called “The Rubber Band Man”. In all fairness my father cannot sing a note. (Bless his heart! ) but every time he heard this silly song he tried. What does this have to do with the above questions you’re probably asking yourself? Ok ok…I digress.

I call this theory “The Rubber Band effect”. This is NOT a scientific theory but one I have come up with myself. (at least the name..ha ha). What is the rubber band effect? It is a way to pull someone WILLINGLY back to you with minimal effort. Before we get into this I want to make something perfectly clear, this is NOT A TOY, GAME or something that can be used to get your ex back to you to create a loving, positive relationship WITHOUT FIRST UNDERSTANDING basic human psychology. If you expect results quickly, you will be sadly disappointed. Relationships only work if BOTH parties involved want to reconcile. If you are putting forth all the work and expect the other to submit, you again will be sadly disappointed.




**You have been warned**


I have read many threads that have the same premise and they may be worded differently but typically they have the same meaning and the main question asked is “WHAT SHOULD I DO?” Something happened in their situation with an ex that they are confused about and want to get the best advice possible. The wonderful thing about theLoveLogic is that you get advice from thousands of wonderful people that want to help you based on your post or question. I cannot tell you how much I have learned from this forum and how grateful I am to be a positive part of this community.


When we wonder what our next move should be with an ex, first things first, relax. NEVER make a hasty decision. If you want a quick answer, in my opinion, you are usually waiting for someone to tell you exactly what you want to hear in the first place. It’s called validation.


-Example-
In your head, you are going crazy because you have not heard form your ex in over 3 weeks. You write a post here at theLoveLogic and people (like me) would tell you to continue NC until there are signs of you healing. A few posts later, you get a response saying “Give him or her a call…what could it hurt?” What do you do, you go with what YOU WANTED TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE…you wanted someone to give you permission to call. Was it the smartest decision to make? It’s hard to say but in my experience, it’s better to leave it alone if you can help it.


Think of quick advice that you don’t ponder the ramifications of the action as someone telling you how to disarm a bomb WITHOUT THEM EVEN LOOKING AT THE BOMB ITSELF. How do they know? This same advice goes for anything I post as well. Please don’t get me wrong. I try to post solid advice based on my experience rather than quick fixes. I try to give clear advice but this of course does NOT mean that it is clear TO YOU. Judge wisely.

Did you know the more you don’t see someone or something, the more you miss it? If the object you miss was something that made you happy, you will miss it…no matter what it was. A pet, a friend, family member, a lover and the list can go on and on. Think about it, we are not referring to death. Death is different because we know we will never see them again in the physical body. Death is 100% closure. Breakups are not in the same league. The thing that drives all of us crazy is the NOT KNOWING part. We are forced to make decisions we don’t want to face. The famous “Should I stay or should I go” song comes to mind.



How on earth can we make such decisions based on “should I”? These types of decisions are not easy unless you have allowed yourself some time to evaluate your situation. How do you do this? It’s your call. No one knows your situation better than you do. Here are some things to think about:
1.) Was the relationship a loving one from BOTH parties?
2.) Do you know if you ex is seeing someone else?
3.) Why do you want them back?
4.) If you get them back, what makes you think it was last?
5.) Have you worked on yourself long enough to handle possible rejection?
6.) Are you ok with your ex sleeping with someone else while away?
7.) Has your ex ever cheated on you? Are you sure they won’t do it again?
8.) Can you trust your ex again to love you?
9.) Do you realize that you are NOT responsible for your ex’s happiness but only
Contribute ad vice versa?
10.) Does your ex or you use drugs, alcohol or any other substance to help them deal with life?


The list above may seem excessive but I think it may help you with possible future decisions. Someone who is not happy with themselves is NOT going to make you happy. There are those out there that are trying to get back with an ex because it took them so long to find the one they had. They were shown some sort of attention or love and are more addicted to the FEELING than the person. They tend to obsess over the person because of the feelings they received from them rather than the person and how they contributed to their life in a positive way. Do yourself a favor and let this go… Heal yourself first. Your head and heart will thank you for it later and you will be in a better place to make any rational decisions pertaining to your love life much more clearly than before.

If you and an ex lover have both opened the door to communication, tread with your heart carefully. Just because communication is open does NOT mean that things are normal or back the way they were. If you have ever made that effort to start communicating and you push your luck, you will do exactly that….you will push them away.


–WARNING—
**NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING about your ex. Just because you are still in love and want them back and they talk to you on the phone or meet you out DOES NOT MEAN THEY WANT YOU BACK. Remember this!!!!!**

How do you know its ok to open the lines of communication? If you are healthy enough to understand that your ex is a separate person and does not belong to you or owe you anything physically or emotionally and that you both are NO LONGER a couple then you find out they are dating someone new, are engaged or even single and dating and can be perfectly 100% ok with any of the above mentioned, can you even think of communication. Ask anyone that has tried to communicate too early, typically you get burned. We tend to look at the good in everyone until the best idea in your head and the loving intentions in your heart go terribly awry with any act of kindness.



As humans, we tend to want to get what we give. It’s natural and when we don’t get what we give (Like a Return on Investment so to speak) we get disappointed. Everyone get disappointed in different ways. Some lash out, others get mad, some kick and scream, some just roll with it and learn from it as their disappointment is tucked away in the closet of “big mistakes”. What SHOULD we do, well this is where “freedom of choice” is initiated. Should I stay or should I go? If you do not get a valid R.O.I….I say go. They could be an outstanding person and have been a wonderful friend to you when in need but if you don’t get what you give…why stay? If you do stay, you are settling. Is there anything wrong with settling? Depends on what you are settling for.

'

I am 36 years old and have never been married. I choose not to settle for what I can get but rather what I want and expect. Will it happen? Sure it will! I choose to look at my life in a positive sense rather than negative. How can you say “I will be alone forever if this doesn’t work out!” No way! You are having a pity party and sure you are entitled but if you actually believe it as time progresses, you will become the very thing you don’t want to be….lonely.


The rubber band effect is easy to comprehend. If you let someone go or they let you go, YOU GO. You can kick and scream at home. Cry your eyes out if you must. I did. The fact is, so many of us look at the negative rather than the positive effects it COULD have on your relationship. Let them go….leave them be. You really don’t have a choice anymore. Think of your LOVE, the love you once had or the love that is potentially under the surface of a hurt lover as a rubber band. Though they are walking out the door, they are slowly stretching the rubber band. The more MUTUAL love you both shared, the strong the band (the Bond you share). By leaving your partner alone, you are allowing them free will to give them what they want no matter what it is. You have no control over them.


The more time goes by, have faith that love will bring them back. How strong your rubber band is, depends on what you two shared BEFORE The break. Sometimes, we assume that we LOVED ONE ANOTHER so much when indeed, it was only ONE sided; your side. Let the love you shared for your ex either bring them back, or learn from it. The band either breaks or it pulls them back. Learn to let go to get them to come back.



To give love freely and to have that love returned to you is a gift from God. Have faith that no matter what happens, it was for the best right now. Sometimes in the darkness of ourselves; our own sadness, that love could walk right back in.
Think about it….
Your Friend,
SuperDave71
theLoveLogic Forum
Beeotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 1:51 AM   #2
Established Member
 
cerridwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,872
Journal Entries: 1
Question Is this the Return of Homebrew?

Homebrew/SuperDave?

Beeotch posted this but is the author Homebrew?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeotch View Post
Was researching something and this article came up, and I thought it would be insightful and helpful to those going through a breakup. It contains much of the advice I myself would give and resonate with...


http://thelovelogic.wordpress.com/20...r-band-effect/


Let’s begin…


Ever wondered why your ex is “acting that way” or why they are treating you differently now? Ever wondered why they get back in contact with you after months of no contact and they STILL keep you at arms distance? Ever wondered why they “give you signals” yet they can’t commit to you? If you can relate to these types of questions, sit back and relax. Everything is going to be fine. Turn on the ole’ brain and lets continue on shall we?


Years ago, there was a song on the radio my father loved called “The Rubber Band Man”. In all fairness my father cannot sing a note. (Bless his heart! ) but every time he heard this silly song he tried. What does this have to do with the above questions you’re probably asking yourself? Ok ok…I digress.

I call this theory “The Rubber Band effect”. This is NOT a scientific theory but one I have come up with myself. (at least the name..ha ha). What is the rubber band effect? It is a way to pull someone WILLINGLY back to you with minimal effort. Before we get into this I want to make something perfectly clear, this is NOT A TOY, GAME or something that can be used to get your ex back to you to create a loving, positive relationship WITHOUT FIRST UNDERSTANDING basic human psychology. If you expect results quickly, you will be sadly disappointed. Relationships only work if BOTH parties involved want to reconcile. If you are putting forth all the work and expect the other to submit, you again will be sadly disappointed.




**You have been warned**


I have read many threads that have the same premise and they may be worded differently but typically they have the same meaning and the main question asked is “WHAT SHOULD I DO?” Something happened in their situation with an ex that they are confused about and want to get the best advice possible. The wonderful thing about theLoveLogic is that you get advice from thousands of wonderful people that want to help you based on your post or question. I cannot tell you how much I have learned from this forum and how grateful I am to be a positive part of this community.


When we wonder what our next move should be with an ex, first things first, relax. NEVER make a hasty decision. If you want a quick answer, in my opinion, you are usually waiting for someone to tell you exactly what you want to hear in the first place. It’s called validation.


-Example-
In your head, you are going crazy because you have not heard form your ex in over 3 weeks. You write a post here at theLoveLogic and people (like me) would tell you to continue NC until there are signs of you healing. A few posts later, you get a response saying “Give him or her a call…what could it hurt?” What do you do, you go with what YOU WANTED TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE…you wanted someone to give you permission to call. Was it the smartest decision to make? It’s hard to say but in my experience, it’s better to leave it alone if you can help it.


Think of quick advice that you don’t ponder the ramifications of the action as someone telling you how to disarm a bomb WITHOUT THEM EVEN LOOKING AT THE BOMB ITSELF. How do they know? This same advice goes for anything I post as well. Please don’t get me wrong. I try to post solid advice based on my experience rather than quick fixes. I try to give clear advice but this of course does NOT mean that it is clear TO YOU. Judge wisely.

Did you know the more you don’t see someone or something, the more you miss it? If the object you miss was something that made you happy, you will miss it…no matter what it was. A pet, a friend, family member, a lover and the list can go on and on. Think about it, we are not referring to death. Death is different because we know we will never see them again in the physical body. Death is 100% closure. Breakups are not in the same league. The thing that drives all of us crazy is the NOT KNOWING part. We are forced to make decisions we don’t want to face. The famous “Should I stay or should I go” song comes to mind.



How on earth can we make such decisions based on “should I”? These types of decisions are not easy unless you have allowed yourself some time to evaluate your situation. How do you do this? It’s your call. No one knows your situation better than you do. Here are some things to think about:
1.) Was the relationship a loving one from BOTH parties?
2.) Do you know if you ex is seeing someone else?
3.) Why do you want them back?
4.) If you get them back, what makes you think it was last?
5.) Have you worked on yourself long enough to handle possible rejection?
6.) Are you ok with your ex sleeping with someone else while away?
7.) Has your ex ever cheated on you? Are you sure they won’t do it again?
8.) Can you trust your ex again to love you?
9.) Do you realize that you are NOT responsible for your ex’s happiness but only
Contribute ad vice versa?
10.) Does your ex or you use drugs, alcohol or any other substance to help them deal with life?


The list above may seem excessive but I think it may help you with possible future decisions. Someone who is not happy with themselves is NOT going to make you happy. There are those out there that are trying to get back with an ex because it took them so long to find the one they had. They were shown some sort of attention or love and are more addicted to the FEELING than the person. They tend to obsess over the person because of the feelings they received from them rather than the person and how they contributed to their life in a positive way. Do yourself a favor and let this go… Heal yourself first. Your head and heart will thank you for it later and you will be in a better place to make any rational decisions pertaining to your love life much more clearly than before.

If you and an ex lover have both opened the door to communication, tread with your heart carefully. Just because communication is open does NOT mean that things are normal or back the way they were. If you have ever made that effort to start communicating and you push your luck, you will do exactly that….you will push them away.


–WARNING—
**NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING about your ex. Just because you are still in love and want them back and they talk to you on the phone or meet you out DOES NOT MEAN THEY WANT YOU BACK. Remember this!!!!!**

How do you know its ok to open the lines of communication? If you are healthy enough to understand that your ex is a separate person and does not belong to you or owe you anything physically or emotionally and that you both are NO LONGER a couple then you find out they are dating someone new, are engaged or even single and dating and can be perfectly 100% ok with any of the above mentioned, can you even think of communication. Ask anyone that has tried to communicate too early, typically you get burned. We tend to look at the good in everyone until the best idea in your head and the loving intentions in your heart go terribly awry with any act of kindness.



As humans, we tend to want to get what we give. It’s natural and when we don’t get what we give (Like a Return on Investment so to speak) we get disappointed. Everyone get disappointed in different ways. Some lash out, others get mad, some kick and scream, some just roll with it and learn from it as their disappointment is tucked away in the closet of “big mistakes”. What SHOULD we do, well this is where “freedom of choice” is initiated. Should I stay or should I go? If you do not get a valid R.O.I….I say go. They could be an outstanding person and have been a wonderful friend to you when in need but if you don’t get what you give…why stay? If you do stay, you are settling. Is there anything wrong with settling? Depends on what you are settling for.

'

I am 36 years old and have never been married. I choose not to settle for what I can get but rather what I want and expect. Will it happen? Sure it will! I choose to look at my life in a positive sense rather than negative. How can you say “I will be alone forever if this doesn’t work out!” No way! You are having a pity party and sure you are entitled but if you actually believe it as time progresses, you will become the very thing you don’t want to be….lonely.


The rubber band effect is easy to comprehend. If you let someone go or they let you go, YOU GO. You can kick and scream at home. Cry your eyes out if you must. I did. The fact is, so many of us look at the negative rather than the positive effects it COULD have on your relationship. Let them go….leave them be. You really don’t have a choice anymore. Think of your LOVE, the love you once had or the love that is potentially under the surface of a hurt lover as a rubber band. Though they are walking out the door, they are slowly stretching the rubber band. The more MUTUAL love you both shared, the strong the band (the Bond you share). By leaving your partner alone, you are allowing them free will to give them what they want no matter what it is. You have no control over them.


The more time goes by, have faith that love will bring them back. How strong your rubber band is, depends on what you two shared BEFORE The break. Sometimes, we assume that we LOVED ONE ANOTHER so much when indeed, it was only ONE sided; your side. Let the love you shared for your ex either bring them back, or learn from it. The band either breaks or it pulls them back. Learn to let go to get them to come back.



To give love freely and to have that love returned to you is a gift from God. Have faith that no matter what happens, it was for the best right now. Sometimes in the darkness of ourselves; our own sadness, that love could walk right back in.
Think about it….
Your Friend,
SuperDave71
theLoveLogic Forum
__________________
**Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie? **
cerridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:13 AM   #3
Established Member
 
0hpenelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: under your bed
Posts: 1,937
I think when someone pointed it out, Homebrew just up and up left. It's either it was SuperDave or some other SuperDave wannabe.

Either way, that made for good lulz when it happened. Wherever he is, if he's SD's impersonator, that's very much not cool and I'm glad he got called out on it. I'll admit though, that I'm very grateful to Homebrew because he helped me out in the very early days of my break-up. It's nice to get a guy's perspective on a boy's mindset (I don't need to get into this, right?).
__________________
"Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." - Max Ehrmann
The opposite of love is not hate; it's indifference. - Prof. Elie Wiesel
From a dumper's perspective & why I advocate NC.
0hpenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 124
I really like this article. It will help me stick to NC even though I'm dying to send my ex-boyfriend an email.. However I KNOW that contacting him wont get him back, and the only way I will heal is by sticking to NC and let him go out with a rubberband around his neck... He'll probably come back when I've healed and it's too late And that's really sad in a way.
Popondetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:21 PM   #5
Established Member
 
depplover_1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I tend to hang on my own residing near Robin Hoods den.
Posts: 1,127
It started out showing promise, but it was a lot of hot air and empty language in the end!!
__________________
Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition...
depplover_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:32 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 723
To me it is basic human psychology. We always want, what we can't have.
__________________
The man who's been beaten is worth two who haven't - Russian proverb
JasonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:35 PM   #7
Established Member
 
dreamingoftigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 8,958
I liked it, but yes strong start, low finish.
__________________
I don't ask you to walk a mile in my shoes. I DARE you to drive a mile in my car.
dreamingoftigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:38 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 563
I happen to agree with this theory and think it's spot on...

There is nothing you can do to bring someone back or change their mind. All you can do is respect their decision and work on yourself.

Who you are, how you treated them and the relationship itself is what you want to "speak" for you. In the end, this is the only thing that will ever bring them back.

All you do by not respecting their decision to break up is...

Is push them away, lose respect and you for a while... their opinion of you will change for the negative.

Plus, it damages your self-worth, self-esteem, your confidence, your ego and your dignity. Until you get all of these back... you do not have a prayer of getting an EX back (even if they came back to you) and you sure as he11 won't be able to attract or keep a "healthy" person for very long either.
homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:43 PM   #9
Established Member
 
depplover_1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I tend to hang on my own residing near Robin Hoods den.
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRules View Post
To me it is basic human psychology. We always want, what we can't have.
Totally agree Jase, this 'theory' was the same rules that no contact preaches and common sense to me...
depplover_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:46 PM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by depplover_1980 View Post
Totally agree Jase, this 'theory' was the same rules that no contact preaches and common sense to me...

Any word from Jonny Depp yet? I know you have been in total NC for a lifetime...
JasonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 4:49 PM   #11
Established Member
 
depplover_1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I tend to hang on my own residing near Robin Hoods den.
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRules View Post
Any word from Jonny Depp yet? I know you have been in total NC for a lifetime...
That was way harsh you meanie, come here i'm going to boobie smother you.

ACTUALLY he rang half hour ago to say he wouldn't be home until Friday now...
depplover_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 5:06 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by depplover_1980 View Post
That was way harsh you meanie, come here i'm going to boobie smother you.

ACTUALLY he rang half hour ago to say he wouldn't be home until Friday now...

Excellent, NC has worked for you!
JasonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 10:19 AM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hpenelope View Post
I think when someone pointed it out, Homebrew just up and up left. It's either it was SuperDave or some other SuperDave wannabe.

Either way, that made for good lulz when it happened. Wherever he is, if he's SD's impersonator, that's very much not cool and I'm glad he got called out on it. I'll admit though, that I'm very grateful to Homebrew because he helped me out in the very early days of my break-up. It's nice to get a guy's perspective on a boy's mindset (I don't need to get into this, right?).
You and Beeotch are correct! The original author of this post (along with "The No Contact Guide for Dummies," and "I Love You...Now Go Away") is SuperDave. There are also quite a few other threads of SuperDave's on here that this person has posted under different titles.

I know this because I'm a moderator for the forums on which SuperDave has posted these. Forgive me for my intrusion, guys, but plagiarism is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, especially when it's the hard work of someone I know and respect.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Exclamation I am SuperDave71

To all members of LoveShack,


It has recently been brought to my attention that a user (former) has been posting my threads under the name "Homebrew".

I have found at least four threads that I have written in the past and I can confirm that he has plagiarized
not only MY work but several others. Please understand that plagiarism is a serious offense regardless of its intent.

My threads have always been to help those that cannot help themselves and never to hurt or mislead anyone.


This was not brought to my attention until today and I have contacted the admins of this site.


Thank you for your understanding and I apprecitate you taking the time to read.



Sincerely,


SuperDave71 <-- the real deal


The original link for this thread is located here:

http://www.thelovelogic.com/forum/sh...er+band+effect

Last edited by theLoveLogic; 20th April 2011 at 11:23 AM..
theLoveLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screw the rubber band on the wrist. I need electrodes on my scrotum! suddendumpee Breaks and Breaking Up 8 14th January 2011 7:06 AM
Rubber Band Trick J0N Coping 13 19th December 2010 6:05 PM
rubber band effect Lucky555 Dating 4 16th April 2010 10:56 PM
The rubber band theory Diver012 Coping 5 7th June 2006 6:27 PM
The 'Rubber Band' theory? Still groovy? miss-gonewest Breaks and Breaking Up 2 19th June 2005 8:45 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 7:26 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.